• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Steakhouse Bacon

gaspipe1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Need a little help here… I'm looking into making my first attempt at pork belly. I've had plenty of store bacon, and have had bacon at really high end steakhouse (which is amazing) and have had pork belly at Fette Sau.

I think what I want to do is make a bunch of bacon like the ones from high end steakhouses, the nice and pencil thick slices. I would like to vacuum seal them into smaller portions and freeze them. When it's time to eat I'm thinking fry them in a pan, or bake them or even toss on the grill.

I know there are tons of threads here on pork belly, but I'm not really sure that the recipe I'm looking at are what I want.

A lot of brethren are in love with Thirdeye's bacon… Is this the recipe that will give me the results I am looking for?

As always thanks in advance!
Gaspare

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...ast-bacon.html

Also note; a lot of high end restaurants use side belly for bacon. The regular belly is about three parts fat to one part meat, whereas side belly is about a one to one ratio for the fat/meat content.

It's simply a matter of choice. I have always preferred side bacon, more meat with great flavor from the fat.

As far as the proper recipe, you have to figure out the flavor profile you desire, Maple, Honey, Pepper, and so many more..... Try several small batches of different recipes that move you and try them. That's the only way to find out which one you like best.

Our personal tastes are just too subjective to get a single recommendation, we all differ in our tastes from one another....

Good luck. There are so many recipe's here for bacon, with so many different opinions on what to use and how much of each is is a difficult decision on what to do. Third Eye has been here a longtime and is probably as good of a choice that you can make. Please post pics and let us know how it goes.

Also note; a lot of high end restaurants use side belly for bacon. The regular belly is about three parts fat to one part meat, whereas side belly is about a one to one ratio for the fat/meat content.

I never new that and I think I agree with you 100%. The steakhouse type isn't nearly as fatty as the one I tried at FS.

As far as the proper recipe, you have to figure out the flavor profile you desire, Maple, Honey, Pepper, and so many more..... Try several small batches of different recipes that move you and try them. That's the only way to find out which one you like best.

That is a great idea… Perhaps I can grab two slabs and cut them in half and try 4 different types.

Anyone with 3 other favs :) off to do some searches. I really hope I don't put this off to the side and do this.

Thanks again for the help!

I looked at Cowgirls blog as well.. looks great! These recipes should work well with side belly as well right?

The 3%/0.25%/1% ratios? They'll work as basic cure for any cut. Maybe with the exception of ribs because of the bone weight. Still need to work that one out, but bacon ribs are damn good

I just made that recipe except using #1 cure instead of mortons. It came out really really good.

Well ordered myself some "side belly" at least that was what I told him. I have like 10-12 lbs. Told the butcher to cut them into 4 slabs. The meat was still frozen Sat when I went to pick it up, he told me wait a day before I start cooking it. Seems still rock hard, is it ok to place them in the bag with the cure/rub for the 5 day process?

I'm waiting on my salt to arrive from Amazon today, couldn't find it local. Since I have 4 slabs I am making each one a lil different. Two of the slabs will have Cowgirls rub and the other I am adding just a little ginger. And the next two will be Thirdeye's rub and the other with a pinch of ginger.

There is a local spice shop near me and I spoke to them and I wanted to use both Cowgirls and Thirdeye's base rub but wanted to add another element to each. We'll see which I like the most.

Pictures will be posted as I start this process…

Well ordered myself some "side belly" at least that was what I told him. I have like 10-12 lbs. Told the butcher to cut them into 4 slabs. The meat was still frozen Sat when I went to pick it up, he told me wait a day before I start cooking it. Seems still rock hard, is it ok to place them in the bag with the cure/rub for the 5 day process?

I'm waiting on my salt to arrive from Amazon today, couldn't find it local. Since I have 4 slabs I am making each one a lil different. Two of the slabs will have Cowgirls rub and the other I am adding just a little ginger. And the next two will be Thirdeye's rub and the other with a pinch of ginger.

There is a local spice shop near me and I spoke to them and I wanted to use both Cowgirls and Thirdeye's base rub but wanted to add another element to each. We'll see which I like the most.

Pictures will be posted as I start this process…

If it's frozen it won't cure. Temperatures of 28 degrees or below stop the cure. It should be 36 - 40 degrees during curing.

Keep us posted....

Well I started the process. I don't think it was frozen, it was hard/firm but had some bend in it. Not like a cutlet when I pick it up. But bend when I would flex it. Live and learn, guess that's what BBQ is about. Nothing like a $40 lession :)

Since I made 4 different packages I will attempt post each one separate with pics. Here we go...

This is package A:

This is Thirdeye's blend with 1/2 tsp ginger (not per pound! for the whole bag)

I took some side pics to show the meager side and the fattier side. Let me know if this looks like normal pork belly. Also I noticed there is a very thin coating of something… is it skin… I will make sure I post it in one of the threads.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 352
Package B:

This is straight up Thirdeye's rub/cure. Notice that thin coating I was talking about?

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 349
Here is Package C:

Cowgirls rub with the ginger

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 346
Yes it looks likes the skin, sometimes called bacon rind.

You can remove it before you smoke, or leave it on and when the bacon get to about 130 - 135 it will easily pull off with no resistance.

From the looks of the second to last picd I'd say it still has the skin on, No big deal though.
Looks like your off to a great start keep us posted

one thing i found that improved my bacon alot was the soak. originally it was coming out too salty. i started to soak submerged in cold water over night and this really brought fourth the flavor of the meat. i also rub before cold smoking with brown sugar and black pepper... real good!!!

And finally.. D:

This is straight up Cowgirls with some minor changes: This is ALL per pound

1 TBS of Tenderquick
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp of cayenne
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of onion powder
1/2 tsp of cracked black pepper

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 166
Yes it looks likes the skin, sometimes called bacon rind.

You can remove it before you smoke, or leave it on and when the bacon get to about 130 - 135 it will easily pull off with no resistance.

I am preparing this as to Thirdeye's instructions from leaving it in a bag for 5 days to soak to smoke.

Will it be a problem to remove if I let the bacon stay in the smoker till IT 150*?

Back