Whole Lamb cook

HolySmoke

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've smoked/grilled all parts of a lamb individualy and no problem always great, does anyone have an idea how long a whole lamb would take? I will be splitting it in half & cooking each half on each side of smoker. I never used brine on lamb but would it be a good idea since it would be cooking for a while i'm sure?? I didn't get it yet but i will have it next weekend (friday).

Thanks

I've done goat a few times. I split it up because the ribs would be burnt to a crisp by the time the legs are done. I'd use a greek marinade like Don Marco just did.

kind of what i was thinking, since i've cooked lots of legs bone in & out and they have more meat than rib area. guess i'll part it and stage the parts on as they cook.

Check with Sled when he gets back from Yardley; I seem to recall he might have some pointers as well...not entirely sure though but worth a shot.
Have you tried a search for "lamb" or "mutton"?

not really, to be honest i've not looked up much stuff. i usually ask my butcher when he's around but forgot. I figured i'd ask here first and see what happens. I also love trying new things and this would def be a new one. I'll try the net but i trust it like i trust the news....

i'll talk to Sled too, just saw him last night too!!!

Interested to hear how it comes out. I keep eying the whole ones at restaurant depot to cook on the la caja one weekend but need a crowd. Maybe we should plan a brethren lamb bash and try it out!

pd6.jpg

What is the weight on your lamb? We cook yearlings every and break them into quarters and the loin. After trimming, the ribs are not much, so they are cooked separate. I've never marinated but do use a mop.

Wow....... that looks great! I down for a Lamb Bash!

See!
Here here go and there you are!
The wealth of knowledge around here is infamous.

Lamb bash?
la caja?
Would be there, not square.

Enjoy.

Interested to hear how it comes out. I keep eying the whole ones at restaurant depot to cook on the la caja one weekend but need a crowd. Maybe we should plan a brethren lamb bash and try it out!
Everyone in attendance would be Lambasted!:biggrin: Or would it be Lambastiges?

I did a whole lamb on a spit last year for a house warming for friends and used the beast whole , with the pole pushed through the anus and right through to the head .The cavity I filled with part - boiled pork and fennel seed sausages , then sewn up .I mopped with a greek-style marinade and cooked over coals for 7 hours .I wish I had photos as it was bloody fantastic eating and an absolute highlight of a memorable evening .The sausages filled the lamb with a fantastic aroma and I just quickly finished them off on a grill to brown them up a bit ---delicious !!

Back