bone pork butt

wormraper

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got in on a great deal today on some boneless pork butt. a full 10 lb butt was accidentally mismarked down to $8.96 today at my local safeway so I grabbed it despite being boneless and took her home... do I need to treat it any differently when I make this into pulled pork or do I just do the normal "go probe tender" and be done with it?

I would do it normally unless it is separating badly. If so, I would truss.

kewl, it's in a long cylinder like pork loin (but much thicker. So I'll probably whack in in half to fit on the kettle and do the 2 pieces side by side... off to make some pulled pork for guests :D

I'm an idiot. blame it on the LOOOOONG work week I had. it's not a pork butt. it's LABELED as pork butt but it's actually a big a$$ pork LOIN (10 lber.. sheesh)

I've never smoked loin before. I know it's a leaner meat so what would be the best method of smoking this bad boy?

Hot and fast to 135 then rest about 20 minutes IMO. If you have any pink pork phobics you may want to up that a hair (or better yet serve them off of the ends).

Hot and fast to 135 then rest about 20 minutes IMO. If you have any pink pork phobics you may want to up that a hair (or better yet serve them off of the ends).

that I can do ... I was also thinking of cutting some slices off for loin chops (10 lbs of pork is gonna be a big meal for just me and the wife :D )

Back