Have you ever eaten Horse meat?

Horse meat was commonly used in Europe (Germany) after WW II They were no longer required for labor,why feed them?,so they were slaughtered and sold for consumption and was relatively cheap. Due to the nature of the meat being on the sweet side, it was the meat of choice to make the dish known as "Sauer Braten". A vinegar solution,water,salt. pepper corns,cloves,bay leave and sugar was heated up and poured over the meat and marinated for
at least 5 days.

The meat was then roasted, a gravy made from the brine solution and served with red cabbage and potato dumplings.

Yea,i have eaten it,many times, and loved it. I still love Sauer Braten but now
living in the good ole USA, i use Venison instead.

I spent 12 years in public schools here in the US, so, yeah, I probably have eaten horse meat.

I have also had my share or MREs, so there you go.

If you've ever eaten out in the sticks of Texas swamps you've probably eaten all those things too. Just include "feral" or "bob" in front of them.

I can't recommend any of these...
I ate some Horse Meat in Germany. (another Red meat)
I ate some Monkey Meat in Central America. (Stringy)
Camel Meat at a Frat party. (Tough)

(When I was 18-25, I didn't cull anything.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the other hand...
Deer, Elk, and Bear are quite tasty. Yum...

Forgot to add Buffalo. Good Steaks too

Last edited:
Never had it, but want to try. Watched Alistair Overeem eat some in an interview about a year ago. Who is Alistair Overeem? He will be a UFC heavyweight champion soon. He swears by horse meat.

To quote Rodney,
"This steak still has marks where the jockey was hitting it!"
Maybe it was dog food.

We use to have butchers that carried it, but unfortunately it is no longer wide spread. (just like liver, veal kidney etc.) It is now used in processed meats here in The Netherlands.
My Mom used to make braised beef with onions (Hachee) from it, and it is the best meat for that. It is a bit on the sweet side.
I recall horse steak which is great. Just a bit lean, so a quick sear should do it.

Hmm.. I'm gonna find me a butcher that has some horse meat :)

Went to Switzerland and while there we had an expensive meat fondue dinner that had all you could eat tiger shrimp, chicken, beef, turkey, and horse meat. I was not sure about eating something I grew up ridding. but we finished the plate. It was a leaner meat then beef, you knew it was not beef though. It would be ok if it had alot of spices.

Yes, was in the Army, stationed in Hawaii, had a 30 day training excercise in Takeo, Japan. Ate it there, it was very lean and flavorful.

Probably but not knowingly. I worked in Saudi Arabia for a while and after going to a feed lot one day I saw everything but an elephant and a pig waiting to be butchered. I sure missed my bacon and sausage for breakfast.

I've never knowingly eaten horse meat, but I would definitely try it. I don't really see why people have a mental aversion to eating one kind of critter over another. If it tastes good, I'll eat it. There is absolutely nothing on earth nastier than a chicken, (except maybe a vulture,) but everybody eats those. I also think the "stringy" description of meat is mostly a mental or prepartation factor, other than a quality of the meat. Ever had an old, boiled chicken? Very stringy. That doesn't mean all chicken is. If you cut a piece of prime beef along the grain and boiled it, it would also be extremely stringy.

My sister said she saw horse meat on the menu while stationed in Sicily, Italy.

Back