MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #16
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

I picked up an Update International. Sharp as hell, cheap as hell... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UNDYEM/

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #17
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I stick with Dexter or Victorinox simply because they work. But if you're insistent on spending that high dollar money I'd go with the Shun. When you're getting into higher end knives you're looking at Japanese style versus European style. In my experience the Japanese blades feel better in my hand, and they are usually a few notches higher in harder as well (Rockwell hardness). Only problem is them being that much harder does make them a bit more brittle, so if you're clumsy (like me) I'd stick with European steel so you don't end up with chips in your pretty new knives (like I did).

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #18
wrenfro12
Full Fledged Farker

I am fond of the Mercer culinary series

a good all round knife you can go with the Genesis line
https://amzn.to/2WPhwbx

On a budget I would use the Mercer Mellennia
https://amzn.to/2RrxK9R

Wilbur's Been Smokin' Somethin'
Woodstock, GA

wilbursbbq.com
wrenfro12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #19
rus_bro
Full Fledged Farker

Currently using the Rapala filet knife as well. Works well, but i think its an 8 or 10" blade. I am thinking of moving to a curved 6" Victorinox. I have their slicer and its a quality knife for a good price.

rb

Old 06-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #20
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I use a Henckels Classic 5.5" boning knife. Stays super sharp for awhile and is small and flexible. Only "issue" I have is the handle isn't as comfortable as some others as it's small. Doesn't really affect me unless I'm doing a ton of meat trimming. For $40 I am very happy with it as I am with the whole Classic set I have.

I also have a Bubba Blade 7". Love the comfort of the handle, the flexibility of it, and was crazy sharp out of the box. However, it doesn't hold an edge for near as long. I'm sharpening it constantly. I still use it a lot, but the Henckels is smaller and more manageable for brisket.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #21
KClandcruiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

Annnnnnnd I just bought the Victorinox semi stiff boning knife. the brethren strikes my wallet again. I've been eyeing them for a while and needed this push to pull the trigger.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #22
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

While I enjoy my German blades, I prefer cheap stamped steel knives for trimming and boning. 6" is a nice size, but prefer slightly smaller @ 5.5" for more control.

As for brand whatever your local restaurant supply store sells. I salvaged my favorite boning knife from an entry level Henckels International knife set that was given to me as a gift after college.

More than likely even the cheapest non-serrated knives will outlive you if hand washed and taken to a pro sharpener.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 PM   #23
Nomamm
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ryan

Victorinox 6" Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife

Love it.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #24
ncmoose
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHusker View Post
If your on a budget, this Victorinox 6" Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife, Semi-Stiff Blade works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-5-...s%2C215&sr=8-5
I second this. Won't break the bank and very good.
ncmoose is offline   Reply With Quote