Pictures of my pit

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey y'all! I figured I'd share a few pics of my gear since you were kind enough to help me learn how to properly post pictures. :grin:

Here's the offset. Ignore the weeds growing through the bricks:

6A75eXoh.jpg

The firebox (looking nice and greasy after a spray down with a little veggie oil):

Q2npJufh.jpg

Love seeing this feller putting out that thin, blue smoke:

y32jCPUh.jpg

And finally, the Old Smokey. Pretty much the most humble rig one can use for grilling but by golly, I've been using them almost solely for two decades and I love them. Woodpile in the background for oak splits and the Lowe's bucket holds assorted mesquite chunks and apple chips. :biggrin1:

dMzhR5bh.jpg

That's a good looking setup! I've never seen an old smokey before, but those look awesome. Nothing wrong with a humble setup if it performs!

Nice way to cook.
I used to go down to Port Aransas to fish in the Dolphin Docks Kingfish Tourney.
Won some money... Great times.

Nice way to cook.
I used to go down to Port Aransas to fish in the Dolphin Docks Kingfish Tourney.
Won some money... Great times.

I love that town. Used to drive down for a week fishing vacation every summer for a good ten years.

How do you like that Old Smokey? I've seen them around and like the design.

How do you like that Old Smokey? I've seen them around and like the design.

I absolutely love them. That's the biggest of the three models they make. 22" grill surface I believe, around $75 bucks. They come in a cardboard box. Hand tighten a few nuts/bolts and in ten minutes you got a new grill. They are pretty bare bones but they last forever and even as horribly as I neglect mine, don't rust through. I've replaced mine twice over the years but once was because the lid flew out of the back of my truck on the way to a cookoff and the other time was to upgrade to a larger model. You can buy accessories for them like taller legs, a hinged grill, etc. I highly recommend them. For the money you spend, they are a real workhorse of a bargain. I especially love how tall the lid is...I vertical roast chickens all the time and it's nice to have a ton of ceiling clearance. I can fit two chickens, a rack of ribs, and some hot dogs on there if so inclined. Get ya one!

Back