• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Yoda the Yoder is Home!

Clay-b-que

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Picked it up on Thursday and finally got to unload it last night. First thing I did was start modifying it. I didn’t want to spend $300 on the upgraded drip pan with removable lid for the direct grilling, so I cut the included drip pan and welded in a “holder” for the two pieces. I am also going to weld on a couple more pieces on the bottom of the drip pan so it doesn’t warp. Just sprayed it down and did the burn in. Going to put some biscuits on soon to see what the heat is like. It is built really well but part of me is wishing I had gotten the Mak because of the WiFi option. I am still going to research and try to figure out how to add this. Also a larger hopper would be nice. Other than that it is nice. Here’s some pics.

27bfc59fc7cbef5a7c6598c9b9075448.jpg
d066f2da87f9d0156c0abb2fe66a437c.jpg
1f463bbdc422c1e1229f7641ad7dac7a.jpg
4b3028317605c18ae6255201eff3b6b4.jpg
14d3f870a97f0b7e3096f0d71a240066.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sweet!

I'm getting an itch for a pellet smoker. Money is not the issue but My Favorite Redhead will not be excited about a fourth cooker. I have to implement my plan to subvert her will.

Do it! It is really easy to hit a switch and be at 600 degrees pretty fast! This is my fourth cooker as well and negotiations are abound about where it is going to live...

I would reinforce the diffuser plate, immediately. they are known to warp pretty quickly. Once warped, it is going to be much harder to work with. I don't think hopper size is a problem. I have done several low and slow cooks for 16 hours on one hopper.

Hope you like yours, as much as I like mine.

I would reinforce the diffuser plate, immediately. they are known to warp pretty quickly. Once warped, it is going to be much harder to work with. I don't think hopper size is a problem. I have done several low and slow cooks for 16 hours on one hopper.

Hope you like yours, as much as I like mine.

Yep. It is warping already because I cut it. I actually have a full 4x8 sheet of that gauge steel so it will be pretty easy to cut a new one if I can’t bend it back.

Just put on some beef fat to season it up. Fatty is going one after smoking the beef fat.

Also, I don’t like the grates for the bottom so I am going to weld up another grate just like the one that is on the upper shelf.

...and has anyone used the yoder thermal blanket for their 640? Does it work? What differences does it make?

If you do a new grate on bottom, I would go with a 2 piece design. I like being able to remove half the grates, so I can open the sear door, while leaving the rest.

...and has anyone used the yoder thermal blanket for their 640? Does it work? What differences does it make?

I have it. It has been on, since I bought the cooker, so I really can't say how much of a difference it makes. I know I can cook in cold and wind with no problems. They say it helps with pellet usage, I use about 1.25 to 2 lbs an hour, depending on cook temps. Maybe someone else can weigh in on what theirs uses. I doubt it is much better than a welding blanket, draped over it, but I like that it stays on, and is hassle free.

If you do a new grate on bottom, I would go with a 2 piece design. I like being able to remove half the grates, so I can open the sear door, while leaving the rest.

That is my plan so I can take the left side grate out and put in the grill grates that I did buy!

Pellet hopper is not an issue. It looks small but holds 20# +

I built my own drip pan and grates. I posted pics and can look them up if you want

I have not used a blanket and works just fine around here.

Congrats!

Back