Rib Question

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All Last week on 11/8 at Restaurant Depot I bought a 3 rack of frozen Baby Back ribs. They are now defrosted in the fridge. My question is how long before I have to smoke them? I tried to find the packing date or the other #'s RD uses but it was covered.
THanks DanB

3 - 4 days in the back of the fridge is the most I'd go. Pork doesn't age like beef, gets kind of funky.

Guessing that since you defrosted them you plan on cooking them soon-ish (this weekend)? Short of all out seasoning them now.....I'd at least throw some salt on them so that they 'keep' until the weekend and not end up with a 'peculiar wang'. (funky smell) :-o

Guessing that since you defrosted them you plan on cooking them soon-ish (this weekend)? Short of all out seasoning them now.....I'd at least throw some salt on them so that they 'keep' until the weekend and not end up with a 'peculiar wang'. (funky smell) :-o
If they are still in the cryopac, I'd leave them there.

It would depend if they froze them when the received them or if they just waited to freeze them when the were about to get old. In the first instance 3 weeks in the last instance no more than 5-7 days.

If they are bad, they will have a bad odor, if they are just a little old they will have a slight off odor that will go away when you wash them.

Dan, I think we are all curious why you defrosted them and when are you PLANNING on getting them on the smoker... BUT the answer seems to be 3-4 days.

rb

Ribs

Dan, I think we are all curious why you defrosted them and when are you PLANNING on getting them on the smoker... BUT the answer seems to be 3-4 days.

rb

Hi First off I didn't think they would defrost so fast. The weather here/rain has put my cook back some. I thought I would have more time since they were frozen. Latter this week or weekend seems to be good, to go.Maybe I should put them in freezer.
Thanks Dan

Maybe I should put them in freezer.
Good thinking, you will at least save them.
It's not the best of circumstances, but it will work and be safe - r.

Ribs

Good thinking, you will at least save them.
It's not the best of circumstances, but it will work and be safe - r.

Hi My only other option is the oven. Rain/Snow is in the forecast for the next two days. I was looking forward to put the ribs on my Rib-O-Lator.
Thanks DanB

I’d leave them in the cryo. If they’re bad, believe me you’ll know. I had a few bad racks from Trader Joe’s once and boy did they reek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ribs

Hi All Thanks for all your replies and concerns, regarding the condition of my ribs..I have 2 days coming with bad weather not suitable for smoking, so in the oven they will going.
Two racks are rubbed the other one is in marinating commerical Chinese BBQ Sauce.
I've been looking for smaller bone Baby Back's. Like they serve in some of the restaurants by me.
Restaurant Depot's flyer said Baby Back Ribs 2.25 & down, so I thought I found them,not so fast.The 3 pack came out to a total of 8.49 lbs, so each rack is close to 2.83 lbs and bones are not small,bummer
Thanks Again DanB

Hi All Thanks for all your replies and concerns, regarding the condition of my ribs..I have 2 days coming with bad weather not suitable for smoking, so in the oven they will going.

Two racks are rubbed the other one is in marinating commerical Chinese BBQ Sauce.

I've been looking for smaller bone Baby Back's. Like they serve in some of the restaurants by me.

Restaurant Depot's flyer said Baby Back Ribs 2.25 & down, so I thought I found them,not so fast.The 3 pack came out to a total of 8.49 lbs, so each rack is close to 2.83 lbs and bones are not small,bummer

Thanks Again DanB

Try Danish Baby Backs if you want the smaller ones. May need to have a butcher order them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back