The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

That’s a good point. That may be why Yoder pellet smokers use more fuel too despite the thicker steel

I have used my Yoder in sub zero temps, with no issues. Normally uses between 1.25 to 2 lbs an hour. I would say it is a controller issue on the Pitts and Spitts, not the thickness of the steel.

You know what’s been kind of interesting to watch... being that Pitts and Spitts pellet grills are fairly new AND being that there are more and more owners on their FB fan page, I am seeing a number of guys report that with the colder weather the grills are not coming up to temp quick enough... to the point the controller thinks there is a flame out and shuts down (I think I have that correct). My point being, I think this ultra thick steel on a pellet cooker can be a double edged sword as it’s a LOT of steel to heat every time you fire up the cooker. Just my opinion, but I think you actually get better performance on a pellet grill with a thinner gauge of steel... or of course an insulated cooking chamber.

If their controller has P settings they might need to adjust them to make it run hotter.

I have a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250 and have cooked in pretty cold weather (40s) with no issue. I’ll report back when I use it in colder temps. Sure, it used more pellets, but it uses a lot of pellets even when it’s warm. I didn’t buy a $2,000 grill to get cheap on fuel. I mean, that’s a bit like buying a Chevelle SS and complaining about gas mileage.

I have a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250 and have cooked in pretty cold weather (40s) with no issue. I’ll report back when I use it in colder temps. Sure, it used more pellets, but it uses a lot of pellets even when it’s warm. I didn’t buy a $2,000 grill to get cheap on fuel. I mean, that’s a bit like buying a Chevelle SS and complaining about gas mileage.

How well does it sear?

Chuck roasts were excellent! I’m liking the bark that no wrap creates. Smoke flavor is really good. I’m finding that as long as I keep fan speed at 60% smoke production and flavor will be good (smoke to 245 deg) . I don’t see a point is using smoke mode now unless if I am doing jerky. I’ll mpre than likely smoke at 245 deg from now on.

Last edited:
Nice chuck! Love chuck more than brisket. I especially like it sliced. I'm going to have to try it no wrap.

They’re not mutually exclusive, but when buying an expensive toy, fuel consumption just isn’t a consideration for me. There are many fantastic pellet grills that are much cheaper, and if I was worried about fuel cost, I would have bought one of them.

They’re not mutually exclusive, but when buying an expensive toy, fuel consumption just isn’t a consideration for me. There are many fantastic pellet grills that are much cheaper, and if I was worried about fuel cost, I would have bought one of them.

Does yours have the opening in the defector/drip tray? I was wondering how well that functioned for grilling.

Does yours have the opening in the defector/drip tray? I was wondering how well that functioned for grilling.

Although I know you aren’t asking me, thought I’d chime in with what I’ve seen...

The Yoder YS640, when coupled with the trap door drip pan, makes for an amazing grill!!! It is not a large grilling area, but there is probably about 200-225sq” of very useable space. From everything I have read and seen, it may very well be the best overall pellet searing cooker on the market!

This is just me, but one of the biggest reasons that I went with a MAK, is because the entire cooking surface can be used for grilling. That was/is super important to me. Still nowhere near the searing power of the Yoder though.

Just depends on what you are after...

#Priorties

[emoji4]

Although I know you aren’t asking me, thought I’d chime in with what I’ve seen...

The Yoder YS640, when coupled with the trap door drip pan, makes for an amazing grill!!! It is not a large grilling area, but there is probably about 200-225sq” of very useable space. From everything I have read and seen, it may very well be the best overall pellet searing cooker on the market!

This is just me, but one of the biggest reasons that I went with a MAK, is because the entire cooking surface can be used for grilling. That was/is super important to me. Still nowhere near the searing power of the Yoder though.

Just depends on what you are after...

#Priorties

[emoji4]

You can absolutely grill on the entire surface of the Yoder. You just don't get direct flame, on the entire surface. I rarely use any grill, where the whole grate is setup for direct grilling. It gets to over 600 degrees, which is plenty hot to grill anything. With grill grates, you can amplify that even more.

You can absolutely grill on the entire surface of the Yoder. You just don't get direct flame, on the entire surface. I rarely use any grill, where the whole grate is setup for direct grilling. It gets to over 600 degrees, which is plenty hot to grill anything. With grill grates, you can amplify that even more.

Agree! The original question was specific to grilling over the trap door. That’s a much more intense heat that would be confined to a much smaller area. Searing vs grilling. At least that’s the way I see it... lol.

It does have the trapdoor for grilling. I’ve only used it once so far, but it worked great. I was very impressed. I’ll try to get some pictures next time I use it.

It does have the trapdoor for grilling. I’ve only used it once so far, but it worked great. I was very impressed. I’ll try to get some pictures next time I use it.

Thanks for everyone that has responded. There are a ton of unique designs out there. The Yoder set up is probably my favorite but it seems many different companies have their own unique way to sear. Mak is neat in that you can sear edge to edge but the drawback is the heat won’t be as intense but it’s definetely sufficient in vmost cases

Thanks for everyone that has responded. There are a ton of unique designs out there. The Yoder set up is probably my favorite but it seems many different companies have their own unique way to sear. Mak is neat in that you can sear edge to edge but the drawback is the heat won’t be as intense but it’s definetely sufficient in vmost cases

I think you’ve nailed it! I know that with my MAK, when I remove the Flame Zone covers and set the controller to Grill (high), the controller tops off at 500ish, but the actual grate temp clocks in between 600-650° every time I have measured it. That’s plenty hot for everyday grilling... in fact, I almost never cook that hot. I find that 450° is the perfect grilling temp for almost everything. But like you said, for searing, I do not believe the MAK can come anywhere close to the Yoder!! That’s what my Weber kettle is for :)

I think you’ve nailed it! I know that with my MAK, when I remove the Flame Zone covers and set the controller to Grill (high), the controller tops off at 500ish, but the actual grate temp clocks in between 600-650° every time I have measured it. That’s plenty hot for everyday grilling... in fact, I almost never cook that hot. I find that 450° is the perfect grilling temp for almost everything. But like you said, for searing, I do not believe the MAK can come anywhere close to the Yoder!! That’s what my Weber kettle is for :)

It seems the Pitts and spitts design is similar as well. I’m interested in how well it works. I love my Mak though for smoking. Just my opinion but I think it’s probably the best pellet SMOKER out there.

It seems the Pitts and spitts design is similar as well. I’m interested in how well it works. I love my Mak though for smoking. Just my opinion but I think it’s probably the best pellet SMOKER out there.

No first hand experience, but I have spoken to a few guys that have cooked on both Yoders and Pitts and Spitts. All have said that the direct grilling experience was much better on the Yoder. Not that the Pitts can’t sear, but the Yoder is just set up better for this task.

Back