MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #16
dsp2
Full Fledged Farker

Stiles switch and Terry blacks are both consistently great. Micklethwait also great. The switch near dripping springs is a spin off of stiles switch. Brand new in a great space and pretty empty most times.

I had Valentinas for the first time a month or so ago and it was excellent.

I haven't eaten at Louie Mueller in a few years but I've had his food at sxsw (and spoke with Wayne for like 30 min!) Last two years.
dsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2018, 08:30 AM   #17
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Another fan of Stiles Switch. Great food made by some real cool guys.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #18
sickhick
Full Fledged Farker

If you go to Louie Mueller get the damn beef rib. It's all you need to know. The jalapeño sausage is excellent (not so much for the regular sausage) grab a slice of cheddar, some crackers, pickles and onions to make lil' hor d'oeuvres, you won't be disappointed.
The brisket is really good as long as you like black pepper. The rest of the menu isn't really that good IMO. I go at least 2-3 times a year and it's consistently the same. Best beef rib in the business, killer jalapeño sausage, really good peppery brisket. Forget about everything else on the menu.

IMG_8676.jpg
Old 12-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #19
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickhick View Post
If you go to Louie Mueller get the damn beef rib. It's all you need to know. The jalapeño sausage is excellent (not so much for the regular sausage) grab a slice of cheddar, some crackers, pickles and onions to make lil' hor d'oeuvres, you won't be disappointed.
The brisket is really good as long as you like black pepper. The rest of the menu isn't really that good IMO. I go at least 2-3 times a year and it's consistently the same. Best beef rib in the business, killer jalapeño sausage, really good peppery brisket. Forget about everything else on the menu.

Attachment 166306
Yes, the beef ribs are why we are going.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #20
sickhick
Full Fledged Farker

Oh yeah, I forgot to agree with the several other places mentioned; Valentina's is really good, Tex-Mex flair to BBQ. Terry Black's is really good, consistent BBQ available all day and still have evening hours (hard to find that). Stiles Switch is good all around, and lucky you they are having their annual Xmas event, "12 days of smoked meats" with a different special every day. Some pretty amazing stuff depending which day you go. La Barbecue was really good last time I went, but it was a year and a half ago when they were still in a trailer. Mickelthwait is pretty damn good, it's a tiny trailer right up the street from Franklin. Too many choices in that area of TX. (Louie Mueller for the beef rib is my #1 pick though).
Old 12-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #21
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Decided to go to Stiles and switch. It did not disappoint.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #22
AngelaK
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
Decided to go to Stiles and switch. It did not disappoint.
omg looks so yummy
AngelaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #23
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Got a beef rib and it was great. The rest of the food was good, but not great
Old 12-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #24
dsp2
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome. I am happy you liked the rib. Not so much on the brisket, turkey, or sausage?

I had Terry Black's on Monday, then the Switch this evening. Austin BBQ is sort of an embarrassment of riches, IMO.
dsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #25
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Sausage was good, turkey was good but not as good as Stiles and switch. Same for the pork ribs. The pepper on the brisket and beef ribs was a lot, but not over powering. The fatty brisket from Louie Mueller was really good. The rendered fat cap with the ton of pepper was delicious with the fatty brisket and rib. All of the sauce that I tried was gross to me. The sauce at Stiles and switch reminded me of eating smurf shaped spaghetti o's when I was a kid with a little pepper added to it. My brother, who was eating the beef rib in the picture, thought the same thing about the sauce once I told him about it. The breakfast taco at Juan in a million was awesome as well.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #26
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Was at Louie Mueller's in Taylor last spring with Frognot and it was fantastic, one of the best. I have not been to Black Box nor Stiles Switch. Hopefully next year.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #27
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
The breakfast taco at Juan in a million was awesome as well.
Drove by there a few times, but didn't stop. Good to know, will have to stop next time.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #28
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
All of the sauce that I tried was gross to me. The sauce at Stiles and switch reminded me of eating smurf shaped spaghetti o's when I was a kid with a little pepper added to it. My brother, who was eating the beef rib in the picture, thought the same thing about the sauce once I told him about it. cdn.com/20181215/4945d498941ed8a40cb1ef3040b5a448.jpg[/IMG]

The funny thing about the sauce at Louie Mueller is it looks like soup and comes in a what could be a mini soup cup. Tourist often drink it or spoon it into their mouth thinking it soup or something. LOL.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote