gator pit reputation

tubby384

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello fellow smokers. I consider myself a newbie to this forum, but been smoking things for the last 20 years. I know there are many reputable pit builders out there, but I decided on purchasing a pit made by Gator pit. I've emailed twice and called the shop and both times the receptionist took down my name and number and said her boss will call back. Needless to say no return call from them. Is that the normal way that company does business? I do understand my backyard pit I was going to order is small potatoes to them, but at least have the consideration of either email or call me to say so. Anyways, thanks for letting me vent and this is the best forum yet.

Ritch is good people he aint being rude he's just extremely busy and he will call you and give you top notch service he values his customers. Just be patient it's worth the wait. His pits are works of art and cook like a dream.

Want some love and respect from a company?
Try a Pit Barrel Cooker. Owners cell phone is inscribed on the name plate. He answers and he returns emails and calls. And save yourself a wheelbarrow full of Benjamin's.

I've heard nothing but good - actually great - things about Gator pits - I'm guessing they're super busy. I hear ya though - that kinda thing can be frustrating.

I think if he wanted to a barrel might as well build a UDS, it sounds like he wants a stick burner and gator makes a good one. but if you are having second thoughts about Gator check out Peroria smokers nice units.

Tubby, what model are you looking to buy? They have awesome cookers.

I was looking at their 24x48 pipe smoker and yes they make high quality pits, but they are also more expensive than other builders. As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".

Gator has a good reputation for quality from what I've read and heard. Be patient. If you think the torture is bad now, wait until you have ordered and are waiting for it to arrive. If you think life is moving too fast for you, order a pit. The wait time no matter how accurate the estimate, will be almost unbearable. Also, if you're wavering between going to a slightly larger size in any direction, do it.

Gator has a good reputation for quality from what I've read and heard. Be patient. If you think the torture is bad now, wait until you have ordered and are waiting for it to arrive. If you think life is moving too fast for you, order a pit. The wait time no matter how accurate the estimate, will be almost unbearable. Also, if you're wavering between going to a slightly larger size in any direction, do it.

Good things are worth waiting for..

I just received a custom offset from Pits By JJ. It is extremely well built and cooks great. I have never seen a Gator Pit in person but they were one of the pits I researched before buying. Gator Pits have a great reputation so I have no doubt that they are worth the wait.

However, I can tell you that Pits By JJ built a fantastic offset that I will be able to pass down to my children's children and they answered all my phone calls and answered my emails within one day. The Build quality far surpassed my expectations and they are a bit less expensive than the bigger names out there like Gator Pits and Klose.

Fishin4bass I never said he "wanted" a barrel. I did say if he "wanted" some love and respect to try The Pit Barrel Cooker company.

They will answer his calls and respond to his emails. People that own and use them understand.

Gators are great and Ritch is a stand up guy. I also went with Pits By JJ and been very happy. I love my Pits By JJ and would recommend them to anyone looking.

I think Rich builds a really nice pit but I think he is way overpriced for the market.

Ritch and Dave Klose were both very responsive to my emails and phone calls. I got more interested in them when I gave up on Lang returning communication. My point being I think all of them are great business guys and all are over run at times. I ended up with a mint Jambo and yes Jamie even was helpful on the phone even though I was buying a used Jambo from an individual.

Hello fellow smokers. I consider myself a newbie to this forum, but been smoking things for the last 20 years. I know there are many reputable pit builders out there, but I decided on purchasing a pit made by Gator pit. I've emailed twice and called the shop and both times the receptionist took down my name and number and said her boss will call back. Needless to say no return call from them. Is that the normal way that company does business? I do understand my backyard pit I was going to order is small potatoes to them, but at least have the consideration of either email or call me to say so. Anyways, thanks for letting me vent and this is the best forum yet.
If you haven't already, look into LoneStarGrillz.com. Chris Goodlander is the owner/operator and he or his wife answers the phone personally. Chris came from Gator and he builds a very comparable pit in materials and quality but is also less expensive. Check em' out!:wink:

Unfortunately I observe most people get themselves into a rut, and are quite happy with their surroundings. It's "got" to be an offset, it's "got" to be built by this builder, it's "got" to be a barrel, it's "got not" to be a barrel. I've never bought a truck where I ran around immediately and introduced myself to the service department demanding 24-7 access to their shop.

If its what you want, it's worth the wait. If its what you want then its worth a delay in an email or phone call.

If its not worth the wait, it's not what you want.

I think Rich builds a really nice pit but I think he is way overpriced for the market.
I agree! There are a lot of quality pits being built and there is too much competition to ask for "a guy's first born male child" for a BBQ pit build!:mmph:

I bought a used Klose and got outstanding service from them. Dana answered the phone and many emails quickly. I can't believe they spent that much time on me for something they weren't making a dime on. If I was buying new, I would definitely call on them.

I just received a custom offset from Pits By JJ. It is extremely well built and cooks great. I have never seen a Gator Pit in person but they were one of the pits I researched before buying. Gator Pits have a great reputation so I have no doubt that they are worth the wait.

However, I can tell you that Pits By JJ built a fantastic offset that I will be able to pass down to my children's children and they answered all my phone calls and answered my emails within one day. The Build quality far surpassed my expectations and they are a bit less expensive than the bigger names out there like Gator Pits and Klose.
I agree. Pits by JJ are a very well built pit, probably better than Gator Pit, and definitely cheaper in price.

Rich finally called and has a lead time of 20 weeks. He was very helpful and patient. I will check out other builders, since others have vouched for their integrity. I have other cookers, but I need something larger since my ceramics are limited to amount of food I am able to fit when cooking for others. Thanks for all the replies.

Back