MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
nthole
Babbling Farker

Cool portable Santa Maria!
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
bbqlearner
Full Fledged Farker

Congratulations! Nice looking rig

Old 06-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
Great find but where do you control the air flow?
No air flow control. Basically like cooking over an in ground pit except its lifted up and put in a metal box. Santa Maria bbq outfitters also sells a charcoal/wood grate that lifts the fire up and allows it to draft. Gonna buy one or fabricate one myself. They also have a propane side burner that fits in place of one of the cutting boards that looks like a nice touch.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
mn_big_dog
On the road to being a farker

Damn.....wish our Costco carried those.
mn_big_dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Good grab! Looks to be about 11 gage steel, should provide years of service. You might consider getting some 1/2 or 1/3 "splits" firebrick and line at least the bottom of the firebox. Here is wishing you good cooking!
Thinkin thats a goo idea too. Thanks

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC

Old 06-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Nice! I remember seeing them at Costco a couple of years back.
Did you get it at Los Feliz or Burbank?

Old 06-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Nice! I remember seeing them at Costco a couple of years back.
Did you get it at Los Feliz or Burbank?
We checked Burbank and they do not carry them. Only select locations. We got ours at the Van Nuys location. As of yesterday they had 14. They also said Pacoima had some. I you go to Santa Maria bbq outfitters website they have a list of distributors. Apparently they are seasonal and go pretty fast.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC

Old 06-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #23
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
No air flow control. Basically like cooking over an in ground pit except its lifted up and put in a metal box. Santa Maria bbq outfitters also sells a charcoal/wood grate that lifts the fire up and allows it to draft. Gonna buy one or fabricate one myself. They also have a propane side burner that fits in place of one of the cutting boards that looks like a nice touch.
I was wondering about that. I'm surprised it doesn't come with charcoal/wood grate. You sure it's not just missing?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #24
jonmhenderson
Full Fledged Farker

They don't come with them, but, trust me, they make a huge difference.
jonmhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #25
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

No, unfortunately it doesn't. They run about 52 bucks for a 20x30. If using just wood though, there should be enough natural draft and spaces between the wood to keep the fire burning nice and hot. Think cooking over a campfire. But im gonna go ahead and put a grate together at least for the charcoal when I use it.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC

Old 06-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

If you have access to any tools, a little rebar and expanded metal and you can have a fire grate for a bunch less that $52 + shipping & tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
No, unfortunately it doesn't. They run about 52 bucks for a 20x30. If using just wood though, there should be enough natural draft and spaces between the wood to keep the fire burning nice and hot. Think cooking over a campfire. But im gonna go ahead and put a grate together at least for the charcoal when I use it.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #27
SmokeDiddy

uhhhh...too complicated for me, but nice anyhoot

[B]*BSKD[/B]
[B]*Weber 22.5" OTS[/B]
[B]*40" MES[/B]
[B]*ECB (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Weber Smokey Joe (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Maverick ET-7[/B]
[COLOR="Red"]*Weber tongs and such, hd alum foil, chimneys, matches, wood and other misc doo-dads and thing-a-majigs[/COLOR]
SmokeDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #28
jonmhenderson
Full Fledged Farker

My firebox is pretty deep. Makes for a good ash catcher though. I had my guy make me an insert out of square tubing. I just put it in the fire box and set a piece of heavy duty expanded metal on it and the coals are near the lip/top of the fire box. It's been my experience with these kinds of cookers that the higher up in the box you get the coals, the better it cooks. The further down in the box you have the fire, the more wood it takes and your coals get smothered by ash. To me, the most important thing would be the insert and, at some point, switching to an Argentine V style parrilla cooking surface. If I knew then what I know now, I never would've sold my old Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters cooker. I would've simply had my local welder build a charcoal grate for it and retrofitted a parrilla style grate on it. I could have saved myself some bucks and frustration. Hope this helps.
jonmhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #29
SmokeDiddy

uhhhhh...why not buy a OTS? Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand the concept of this style of grill. Else build a fire in the backyard and put a grate on top of it.

[B]*BSKD[/B]
[B]*Weber 22.5" OTS[/B]
[B]*40" MES[/B]
[B]*ECB (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Weber Smokey Joe (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Maverick ET-7[/B]
[COLOR="Red"]*Weber tongs and such, hd alum foil, chimneys, matches, wood and other misc doo-dads and thing-a-majigs[/COLOR]
SmokeDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #30
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmhenderson View Post
My firebox is pretty deep. Makes for a good ash catcher though. I had my guy make me an insert out of square tubing. I just put it in the fire box and set a piece of heavy duty expanded metal on it and the coals are near the lip/top of the fire box. It's been my experience with these kinds of cookers that the higher up in the box you get the coals, the better it cooks. The further down in the box you have the fire, the more wood it takes and your coals get smothered by ash. To me, the most important thing would be the insert and, at some point, switching to an Argentine V style parrilla cooking surface. If I knew then what I know now, I never would've sold my old Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters cooker. I would've simply had my local welder build a charcoal grate for it and retrofitted a parrilla style grate on it. I could have saved myself some bucks and frustration. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. Definitely going to be putting in a grate. Probably not going to buy it. Going to do some experimenting first and decide on exactly how I want it put together and go from there. Did you have the Parrilla made custom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeDiddy View Post
uhhhhh...why not buy a OTS? Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand the concept of this style of grill. Else build a fire in the backyard and put a grate on top of it.

My favorite idea would be to dig a hole but I have a feeling the landlord would kill me.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC