HEB Grand Champion Charcoal

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Dear Texas Brethren. If you happen to live close to an HEB they have a new charcoal out. Last night I picked up a bag of HEB Grand Champion Charcoal and it seems to be a charcoal similar to kingsford comp. Strait lump charocal with no binders in a briquette form. Are they good? I have no idea I haven't tried it yet but compared to their regular charcoal I'm not getting my hopes up but it was 4.98 for 8 lbs. Not the worst price and I like to try new stuff. This is just an FYI in case some Texas brethren get bored and want to buy yet another bag of charcoal to add to their stash. Maybe it's good I'll give it a shot today and report back.

heb-grand-champion-charcoal-242X187.jpg

From their site:

"When it comes to grilling, pick a charcoal that captures your true Texas spirit. H-E-B Grand Champion Charcoal Briquets are imprinted with the Texas Star and forged for unique Texas grilling. The long-lasting and even heat from our briquets gives you more time to grill without having to add more charcoal or restart the fire. Enhance your flavor with the enticing wood aroma of our all-natural hardwood briquets. From smoking to grilling you'll get a champion performance from H-E-B Grand Champion Charcoal Briquets."

Just FYI

I used this charcoal in my Weber 22 Kettle grill this past weekend to cook fajitas while we were working on the deer lease. I'm certainly not a charcoal connoiseur, but I thought this was fine. I bought it because I didn't want to use the Cowboy lump I had at home and have the sparks from that junk start a wild grassfire (Central Texas drought). The charcoal did burn hot, and stayed hot for a long time. No detectible off-taste.

I will look for it next time I go to HEB. Hadn't seen it yet. Hopefully we will get some of that rain they promised this weekend.

I used this charcoal in my Weber 22 Kettle grill this past weekend to cook fajitas while we were working on the deer lease. I'm certainly not a charcoal connoiseur, but I thought this was fine. I bought it because I didn't want to use the Cowboy lump I had at home and have the sparks from that junk start a wild grassfire (Central Texas drought). The charcoal did burn hot, and stayed hot for a long time. No detectible off-taste.

Stu, what was the ash output compared to lump?

It was more. I didn't think about it at the time, though, so I couldn't say how much more.

Please do a review, Smokey Al. I don't have any HEB stores near me, but I pass within a few miles of some when I travel to Houston, and I have plenty of cargo space in the crossover. If it is good stuff, I'd get off the highway to stock up at that price, for sure.

CD

Back