MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh
Default 55 Gallon Drum Extension Ring?

I have the Weber 22.5 OTG grill and a Smokenator 1000. I'm getting used to the Smokenator and like it. But the short comings of the set up in terms of size is hitting me quickly. I am making a "hover grill" out of an older grill grate that should fit under the dome.

But I'd really like to kick it up a bit by fabricating an extension ring, similar to the Cajun Bandit and other rotisserie setups or the Smoke EZ design. However, I'm in the Philippines so shipping those across the Pacific is expensive compared to getting a used 55 gallon drum here and having a fabricator do some modifications.

Since this will be used for smoking, I need good seals, at least 1 door to feed the Smokenator occasionally and I will probably do rods across the top so I can simply hang what I want to smoke from them: sausages, bacon, and ribs. A second Weber grill grate, if I can find one here or get one shipped would be for items that won't "drape" well.

Any pointers on how to do the rims where the drum will meet the kettle and the lid so I don't have big air leaks?

Tags
55 gallon drum, Extension Ring, Smokenator, Weber 22.5