MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #16
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
Well our first week vending went very well. We did two days last week and three this week and already ticked off two restaurant owners and a roach coach operator. Our lunch menu is pulled pork,pulled beef,pulled chicken,man beans, pulled pork nachos ,salads,smoked chicken salad wraps and fresh smoked german sausage along with chips and varios drinks. Dinners are half chicken, Spare ribs,Brisket,smoked stuffed meatloaf, and more to come. Doing good Q 4 to 5 days in a row is alot of work but very rewarding when the compliments and repeat customers keep rolling in.The phone orders and deliveries have already started also. There is also an old walkin cooler on site I will be aload to fix and use which will greatly easy my storage problems. This thing is getting going allitle faster than I expected.

Congratulations! Sounds like you are already popular with those who know good food. It can only get better

Old 09-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #17
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

When you post pics, maybe you could share with us what was involved in getting ready to vend.

Licenses, permits, inspections, etc.

I know its different everywhere but would like to heat about your situation!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
When you post pics, maybe you could share with us what was involved in getting ready to vend.

Licenses, permits, inspections, etc.

I know its different everywhere but would like to heat about your situation!
Pics will be a few days I think the camera grapped out on me will have to take some more this week. In NY you need a mobile vending permit which is $30 dollars and since I have a truck built to their specs a preinspection was not needed. I had to get wriiten permission from the land owner were I am vending at and a town permit from the clerks office for $75.00 for the the first month and then half of that each month after that. I was inspected already and will be once a month and once you know what they are looking for it's qiute easy to comply.It was quite easy if you have the write equipment and a good spot. Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 PM   #19
MrMike
On the road to being a farker

If you don't mind my askin' (and you may PM me if need be), but where can you be found?
I'm all over the the mid Hudson area (I live in lower Dutchess county) on the weekends...
Old 09-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #20
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

You have a pretty big menu. We cooked as follows Friday and Saturday this week.
14 Butts, 12 Brisket, Burnt Ends, 12 Slabs, Tips, 40 Bratwurst, 30 4:1 Beef Weiners, 40 Pork Steaks, 12 Chickens, Beans, Potato Salad, Slaw
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #21
Butts-n-gutts
Full Fledged Farker

List where you are located, I have a brother living in Coxsackie, I'll tell him to check you out
Butts-n-gutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #22
Roy Kennedy
Got Wood.

Awesome . You definetly need pictures !! Where are you guys set up I want to stop by for some grub .
Roy
Roy Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:01 AM   #23
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
If you don't mind my askin' (and you may PM me if need be), but where can you be found?
I'm all over the the mid Hudson area (I live in lower Dutchess county) on the weekends...
I am between catskill and coxsackie on 9w by the Drivein theater about 2miles before coxsackie if you are heading north on 9w. Come on down!!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #24
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
You have a pretty big menu. We cooked as follows Friday and Saturday this week.
14 Butts, 12 Brisket, Burnt Ends, 12 Slabs, Tips, 40 Bratwurst, 30 4:1 Beef Weiners, 40 Pork Steaks, 12 Chickens, Beans, Potato Salad, Slaw

Thats a good day of cooking. are you doing whle or half chicken.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #25
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butts-n-gutts View Post
List where you are located, I have a brother living in Coxsackie, I'll tell him to check you out
What a small world thats to funny. I will be open wednesday thru saturday have him introduce himself i will hook him up. My location is on the post before this one.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #26
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
Thats a good day of cooking. are you doing whle or half chicken.
We do some halves, and some quarters. $4 a quarter, $6 a half. Add $3 to add 2 sides and make it a meal. Typical profit margin is 100%. The rest of our pricing as follows, with the $3 more for a meal carried throughout.

Ribs - $16 a slab, Tips - $5, Pulled Pork and Brisket $5, 16oz Pork Steak - $5, Brat - $3, Hot Dog $2, Pulled Pork and Brisket by the pound - $10
Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #27
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
We do some halves, and some quarters. $4 a quarter, $6 a half. Add $3 to add 2 sides and make it a meal. Typical profit margin is 100%. The rest of our pricing as follows, with the $3 more for a meal carried throughout.

Ribs - $16 a slab, Tips - $5, Pulled Pork and Brisket $5, 16oz Pork Steak - $5, Brat - $3, Hot Dog $2, Pulled Pork and Brisket by the pound - $10
Thats close to what I am at Ribs $6 1/4 rack $12 half $23 full regular pulled pork sammie $5 large $7 Smoked german sausage $6 half chicken dinner $12 Rib dinner $15 chicken and rib $17 brisket $16 comes with choice of two sides and drink.Sides are $1.50 for the salads and $2.00 for the man beans. Going to do some specials thursday and friday nights like stuffed meat loaf,ham, or turkey as the holidays approach. Figuring out amounts to minize waste is the hardest thing now but I guess that will come as I build regular customers over time
Old 09-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #28
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I started small, and always try to run out. I don't have a closing time. When I'm out I leave. 2 reasons, the rush starts early and I run out faster, so I can leave earlier, and, it leaves 'em wanting more!

Right now I am at by fec 500 capacity. Saturday morning I pulled in at 6:30am and had a guy waiting for brisket!! We were out of food by 1:00pm.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #29
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

I'm excited to see others making money off roadside. Bigmista and I are planning to do markets to start and then grow from their. I'm sure he will be just as happy as you all are to be out of an office.

Can either of you tell me how you come up with your pricing? I get on Bigmista because I say he pulls numbers out of his a$$.
MrsMista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #30
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMista View Post
I say he pulls numbers out of his a$$.
Dayum!!! Thats a lotta numbahs!!!

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catering, roadside vending, vending