• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

275 Gal Oil Tank Build (pron)

Looks great! I love welding even though I suck at it. It is fun and rewarding.

Nice build, however I would like to give you a word of caution regarding the changing out the 30 amp breaker with a 50. That 30 amp was there to protect a 30 amp circuit(depending on the type of wire), which is probably #10 wire. A 50 amp breaker will allow at least 50 amps to flow through that wire which is too much and will, over time cause the wire to break down and or melt before tripping. Just a word of caution to avoid "killing your buzz" while building an awesome cooker. You really should identify (if you haven't already) the size and type of wire that make up that circuit.
After all, we do not want smoke BEFORE you are done.

I agree, breakers aren't meant to be swapped out for higher amps. You should get a licensed electrician in there before the place burns down.

Finally, some progress worth writing about:

CAM00202_zpsc9746fc9.jpg

6 24" x 24" cooking grates done.

CAM00203_zps73e22773.jpg

Glides for fire basket installed.

Looking real good!
Progress sure makes ya feel better don't it

Very cool.

So by the way...when you guys are building these cookers, and I see freshly ground welded spots, how are you keeping them from rusting?
Are you spraying them with cooking spray to keep them oiled up?

Made some more progress today:

BiggieSmokes27_zpsfb8b0fed.jpg

Got the front welded onto the fire box.

BiggieSmokes28_zps98845249.jpg

Used the piece I cut out for the front of the coal basket, and attached.

I also went to the metal store today and got the pieces I need to build the base. I'm gonna try to get that done this weekend.

More to come!

I had some time to kill before work, so i went and picked up sme 3/4" square tube steel and made a handlefor the pull-out basket:

CAM00209_zpsb6e6ddae.jpg

Also got the pipe nipples and caps for the air inlets. Im gonna try to get them on this weekend along with the base and wheels.

Moar progress!!!!!

Got the lip around the fire basket door welded up and ground all pretty.

BiggieSmokes29_zps7db2b55f.jpg

Here is the fire basket test-fit in the fire box. Its a little off center due to the drum not being perfectly round, but it fits pretty good.

BiggieSmokes30_zpse5a7d730.jpg

Here's a pic of the base (upside down). I think its kinda of funny that the steel I used for the legs I actually got 6 months before I even decided to build a smoker. I saved it from the trash, thinking I would eventually find a use for it.

Biggiesmokes31_zpsaf38863b.jpg

Gonna see how much I can get done over the holiday weekend. Almost ready to get the wheels on, which will allow me to burn it out.

Also, found a cool idea for how to mount the shelves...

Happy thanksgiving!!! And thanks for looking!

Back