MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #151
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
Well there was a backyard BBQ contest at the KCBS comp i cooked this weekend. I believe there was a whopping 5 teams in it. Where was everyone that is bitching about not having other options other that master series?
Thatís the Point. Probably a lot teams ineligible to cook in backyard that didnít do that the masters event.

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #152
masque13
Take a breath!

doesn't everyone sort of understand that the explosion of BBQ and in particular of comp BBQ probably saw it's peak a few years back with Pitmasters, Pit Wars and BBQ Crawl all happening on the TV pretty much at the same time?

The chance of catching that lightning in a bottle again will be nearly impossible. so wherever the overall popularity of comp BBQ is now landing means it is pretty much what it is.
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #153
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Well there was a backyard BBQ contest at the KCBS comp i cooked this weekend. I believe there was a whopping 5 teams in it. Where was everyone that is bitching about not having other options other that master series?
In my neck of the woods backyard events are few and in my instance travel expenses make it about equal cost so might as well compete on the pro level if we are going to compete.

I don't think you got to worry about anything changing. These type of threads pop up we complain a bit and it stays the same.
I would like to see entrance fees come down so smaller events stick around and grow but its not happening.
I am going to keep looking for team mates to try and spread the costs out and not worry about what it should be and accept it for what it is.
Rusty Kettle is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #154
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
Thatís the Point. Probably a lot teams ineligible to cook in backyard that didnít do that the masters event.
How would they be ineligible to cook?

Old 08-27-2019, 05:24 PM   #155
Fat Freddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Using the one in Sioux City last year. My daughter wanted her and my wife to do it but since my wife has done the number of contests she has done my daughter, who has only helped us doing peoples choice contests like at Whiting the last year it was at the park there, anyways she was told they were not eligible because of number of contests my wife has done even though i was head cook and Tracys name is not even on my KCBS number.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #156
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Once you cook X cooks, 12 or 15 or whatever...you are a "master competitor."

By that definition a team that has 13 cooks and team that has 1300 cooks will be competing at the same event.

Some people are looking for a chance to beat the best, good for them and some do. For me, I enjoy cooking and did decent considering the level of competition at the events I participated in...but I am not good enough or dedicated enough to consistently compete with the true pros. Not sure why having something between backyard and pro would be so controversial.

I think going back to some thoughts circulated earlier, a solid option would be to eliminate the general restrictions on the Backyard division, points chase teams were only eligible for the "master events" and hopefully most comps would have both (I am not sure there has been a backyard comp within 5 hours of me this year) and skew the prize pool toward the master's side (deservedly so).

Old 08-28-2019, 01:28 AM   #157
SmoothBoarBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
The information is out there, so maybe it's up to KCBS to market better. I think there is a stigma here that it is hard to get into competition BBQ and honestly I don't know why. It's literally as easy as exchanging american currency, doing maybe an hour of research, looking at pics of others food to try to emulate, reading the KCBS rules, and showing up with your smoker. Once you are there, it falls into place. I feel KCBS and the other teams are so supportive when you are there knowing you are new. Just have to dive in and be ok with losing/screwing up for a bit. Can't be stuck over analyzing and trying to win your first time out. You aren't going to and that's fine. You double your BBQ knowledge every time you compete.

We entered our first comp with almost new Pit Barrels and a Wal Mart Char Griller stick burner. We still compete under EZUps. You don't have to go broke to get into this. Just have to take the plunge. If you decide it isn't for you, at least you tried.
I agree with your sentiment that once you get to a contest things do fall in place. The problem is that not everybody is willing to drop ~$1k without being fully prepared and understanding the entire series of events. Some contests are very open and everybody is outside chatting and talking, while others are very much the opposite : ghost town until about 3am and even then it's still very little people around.

My first KCBS contest was Kings of Q in Ayden, NC. I get put in a parking lot with 2 other teams and we're surrounded on 3 sides by buildings. We can't see anything or anybody else with the exception of the big-rig guys across the street. Those guys show up late, and sleep all night, and they are rarely seen until the morning. It was not a great experience because I had no idea what was going on, and the people who did know were almost completely isolated from us "noobs." Needless to say I got my ass kicked, but I wasn't looking to win : really I just didn't want to come in DAL and I accomplished that goal. haha

You are absolutely correct in that KCBS should market it better, and putting together a ~15 minute YouTube video explaining everything, and having it linked on their website, would certainly help with "pulling back the curtains."

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #158
eggzlot
Take a breath!

Quote:
I am 15 miles from NYC. When I was active competing between say 2011 and 2016 I did not see 1 backyard contest within 100-150+ miles. I am in a super highly populous area to say the least. Finding contests was enough of a chore and from what I hear itís only gotten harder. Backyard never took off out here - kcbs should push that harder with its promoters
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #159
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:

Some people are looking for a chance to beat the best, good for them and some do. For me, I enjoy cooking and did decent considering the level of competition at the events I participated in...but I am not good enough or dedicated enough to consistently compete with the true pros. Not sure why having something between backyard and pro would be so controversial.
Agree. I'd assume that's what it is for most teams, including us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggzlot View Post
I am 15 miles from NYC. When I was active competing between say 2011 and 2016 I did not see 1 backyard contest within 100-150+ miles. I am in a super highly populous area to say the least. Finding contests was enough of a chore and from what I hear itís only gotten harder. Backyard never took off out here - kcbs should push that harder with its promoters
100% here. I'm in North Jersey and would LOVE some more backyard or smaller competitions. Less entry fees, less commitment, and a chance to win.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #160
ffemtreed
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
I agree with your sentiment that once you get to a contest things do fall in place. The problem is that not everybody is willing to drop ~$1k without being fully prepared and understanding the entire series of events. Some contests are very open and everybody is outside chatting and talking, while others are very much the opposite : ghost town until about 3am and even then it's still very little people around.

My first KCBS contest was Kings of Q in Ayden, NC. I get put in a parking lot with 2 other teams and we're surrounded on 3 sides by buildings. We can't see anything or anybody else with the exception of the big-rig guys across the street. Those guys show up late, and sleep all night, and they are rarely seen until the morning. It was not a great experience because I had no idea what was going on, and the people who did know were almost completely isolated from us "noobs." Needless to say I got my ass kicked, but I wasn't looking to win : really I just didn't want to come in DAL and I accomplished that goal. haha

You are absolutely correct in that KCBS should market it better, and putting together a ~15 minute YouTube video explaining everything, and having it linked on their website, would certainly help with "pulling back the curtains."

Kings of Q is a really well run contest. Its one of our favorites to do even though we never score well there.

Most of the people in the RV's actually show up really early, some even come thurs night. There are a lot of very nice people in this area, you just got to get to know one or two and then they will start introducing you to other teams / people. The cooks meeting is a good place to start. As a newish (is that a word?) team myself, I have yet to find anyone who wasn't willing to help.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #161
SmoothBoarBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemtreed View Post
Kings of Q is a really well run contest. Its one of our favorites to do even though we never score well there.

Most of the people in the RV's actually show up really early, some even come thurs night. There are a lot of very nice people in this area, you just got to get to know one or two and then they will start introducing you to other teams / people. The cooks meeting is a good place to start. As a newish (is that a word?) team myself, I have yet to find anyone who wasn't willing to help.
I did it 2 years in a row and both times it was terrible, but mostly that was because of the weather. I agree that it's a well run contest, but my point was that if you're a newbie then it's kind of confusing. NOBODY was around in the "big rig" area when I showed up and outside of the cooks meeting I never saw any of them until Saturday morning. Don't get me wrong that's their prerogative and schedule, but my point was that not every contest is super welcoming to new people. Both times I was there I was stuffed into that parking lot right next to the turn-in building, in between 3 buildings and the main road. I was just sitting there all day waiting to fire up the cooker : no activity on Friday night and it was just a very strange setting.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #162
Michigan BBQ Fan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggzlot View Post
To be honest, I didn't even know there was a "Backyard" division of KCBS until this thread. I keep abreast of all things BBQ and too wish there were more near me (Michigan).

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #163
Michigan BBQ Fan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Once you cook X cooks, 12 or 15 or whatever...you are a "master competitor."

By that definition a team that has 13 cooks and team that has 1300 cooks will be competing at the same event.

I think going back to some thoughts circulated earlier, a solid option would be to eliminate the general restrictions on the Backyard division, points chase teams were only eligible for the "master events" and hopefully most comps would have both (I am not sure there has been a backyard comp within 5 hours of me this year) and skew the prize pool toward the master's side (deservedly so).
Lots of good ideas floating around. How do you increase participation across the board?

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

Old 08-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #164
Michigan BBQ Fan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
In my neck of the woods backyard events are few and in my instance travel expenses make it about equal cost so might as well compete on the pro level if we are going to compete.

I don't think you got to worry about anything changing. These type of threads pop up we complain a bit and it stays the same.
I would like to see entrance fees come down so smaller events stick around and grow but its not happening.
I am going to keep looking for team mates to try and spread the costs out and not worry about what it should be and accept it for what it is.
We never know when a thread like this might give the KCBS a new idea to improve everything overall. There is a new CEO and hopefully a new focus on serving the membership. What if they did have a focus on mentoring and better connecting members so they could form teams?

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

Old 08-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #165
Michigan BBQ Fan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaestar View Post
About 5 years ago I brought up to some KCBS board members that they needed to be proactive in continuing the growth of competition bbq. One of the things I had always heard from the public at comps or in conversation about doing comps was "I'd love to compete but have no idea how to start". The other big one was mentioned previously about not having a trailer to compete out of.

My idea to KCBS was putting together classes and/or videos showing how to start in competition bbq. Not a tell all class but more of what basic equipment is needed, what the time line of a contest looks like, how judging is done, etc. Maybe show what a set up looked like using just a 10x10 EZ Up. I had talked to a few top comp teams and they were more than willing to help do this. Their response was great idea but this really should be something you do on your own and is not something KCBS would involve itself in. I brought this up to boardmembers the following year (maybe two) and got more or less the same response.

I'm not saying this is the answer, but it is definitely frustrating seeing membership/competitions decline and the one group with the most to lose in this sit back and not try to be proactive about it.
Well said. Did you ever follow up and see why action wasn't taken?

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook