MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
pmezo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Left beef ribs out on counter by accident

So I picked up a couple racks of beef back ribs at the grocery store and left them out on the counter, like an idiot, for about 3.5-4 hours. They were raw and not frozen when I left them out. What would you guys do? You think I should just toss them?
pmezo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

When in doubt throw it out. Seriously, I use to work in food service and if something like that would have happened we would throw it out. It is not worth getting sick over. You eat it and you get sick or your family and friends get sick from it was it worth it? Nope So be smart and toss it out
and go get some new fresh ribs and try to remember to put it away when you get home.
Rusty Kettle is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd cook them- Smoke cures/kills everything.........

I put my rub on and let the meat "sweat' for 3-4 hrs on the counter the nite before then into fridge overnite-all the time. Beef, Pork both.
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
pmezo

I'm on the fence here. I really don't want to get or give my family food poisoning over $20, but if they're still good to go, I don't want to throw them out. It's a really nice couple racks of ribs I've got here.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

That's a pretty long time. Even though something like ribs will be cooked to a far more than well done state and kill any bacteria, what the cooking process won't do is neutralize some toxins that said bacteria may have already created in the time it was sitting out.

While there's a pretty good chance things would turn out just fine if you cooked them, messing with even the slim possibility of severe or even fatal consequences isn't worth it IMO.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

My wife said if you like your family and friends don't serve it to them but if you don't like them serve it to them and watch what happens. Seriously though don't do it. You may regret it later. Always follow the when in doubt throw it out rule. It just is not worth a little lost money you may spend more on medical bills than to just replace the meet. Food poisoning can be serious and you should not mess around with it at all. If you decide to do it anyways eat them your self and don't make others sick.
Rusty Kettle is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
pmezo

That's a shame - I actually do like them. Goodbye beef ribs then. I hardly knew ya.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well atleast smoke them for the guys at work..........
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
When in doubt throw it out. Seriously, I use to work in food service and if something like that would have happened we would throw it out. It is not worth getting sick over. You eat it and you get sick or your family and friends get sick from it was it worth it? Nope So be smart and toss it out
and go get some new fresh ribs and try to remember to put it away when you get home.
I agree, +1, and Like!

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

With Beef you were still fine with that time slot, but you needed to cook them right away that night. When it doubt... sure, throw it out, but first I woudl advise you take the ServeSafe course so you KNOW the do's and don'ts, and where you have room to wiggle around. You're still ok, get that smoker firing.

If food was as toxic as TV pumps out all the time, it would be outlawed. Even as those talking heads yap about chicken being so horrible, you sit and watch them cross contaminate everything right on the set of those cooking shows.

Food service is a bit different just due to the volume of food they are preparing and time constraints/stock rotation. For a guy with two racks of ribs , that he just bought, in his own home where you know the level of general cleanliness..... yeah, you are more than fine.
Haastyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #11
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Penalty Box for you!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

yeah yeah.
Haastyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

I wouldn't hesitate to cook them.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to cook them.

Me either.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
pmezo

So we're about 50/50 here. Has anyone ever left meat out for that long and didn't get sick? What to do... what to do...

The plan is to wait until sunday to smoke them, so they'll be sitting in the fridge for another couple days.