MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #31
Poker Smoker
On the road to being a farker

If you own a cell phone, you own an atomic clock.
Less is more.
Poker Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #32
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks folks, a ton of great ideas here, thanks!!

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #33
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

as someone who would love to compete one day, these are great. watg, are you going to make your article available here? IMO, this would make a great sticky so the tips can help many people now and in the future. Mods?

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #34
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Yes I found that very informative as we are also getting ready to join the comp ranks
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #35
Jeff S.
Full Fledged Farker

I mounted my paper towel holder(the folding plastic kind) in the recess under my folding table. It keeps the towels dry and they dont blow in the wind.

When folded closed for travel, it is thinner than the recess, so it cant get broken.

Trailer'd LownSlo 48" x 20" with a Char-Broil Grill
Hinged Dome UDS, Weber Kettle lid UDS
Weber Performer
[COLOR=red]Red (Super Lightning Fast)Lithium-Ion powered ThermoPen[/COLOR]
2 Modded ET-73's 2 stock '73's
IGrill
WSBA, PNWBA, KCBS, KCBS CBJ
It's the I behind the Eye that see's
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #36
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I trim everything at home and have a knife for each category that needs slicing. That leaves me with about 8-10 dishes that go in a bus tub and home to the dishwasher. Most of those 8-10 are used during turn in so they are not sitting around long.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #37
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
Wear two pair of latex gloves and just remove the dirty pair. Much easier to get a new pair on.
I put my pork and brisket on the same smoker at the same time. Doing this I can load the smoker much quicker and only have to open it once.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #38
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
as someone who would love to compete one day, these are great. watg, are you going to make your article available here? IMO, this would make a great sticky so the tips can help many people now and in the future. Mods?
We have too many stickies as it is, but I will add this to the KCQuer Roadmap To the Competition Forum so it can be found easily.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13677

Thanks, Dan!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #39
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post

I will keep you posted on the article, got some great stuff here, thanks again to everyone for your suggestions.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #40
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
What about judges? I take Tylenol, soap, a clean t-shirt, and a clamp on umbrella.

And a wet wash cloth in a baggie. I also bring masking tape to hold down the plate on windy days and toothpicks (the plastic ones with floss).

Middle seats are always either the 3rd or 4th pick from the turn in box.

I like the end seats - fat guy mod.

Don't put your fingers that you have been licking all over the entries that you are not eating when picking out a piece of meat from the box. Don't take up so much room at the judging table that the ones sitting beside you are cramped. Be considerate of the other judges.

Ditto on the fingers - yuck! As for taking up too much room, see above comment ;>)

..... You are not there merely to eat good BBQ.
You are 100% right on that! Take at least two good sized bites of each piece so that you can give a fair score.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #41
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker Smoker View Post
If you own a cell phone, you own an atomic clock.
Less is more.
My blackberry is one of the few phones that will let you set the time to whatever you want, I always sync it to the official clock just in case!
If it's slower than the official, I usually adj it so that its 30 sec fast if anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
I will keep you posted on the article, got some great stuff here, thanks again to everyone for your suggestions.
Thanks for this!

One thing I plan on implementing is to STOP using wash tub type things as a means of transporting stuff to and from the comp... when it's time to set up the tubs, you have to empty all yer crap out of 'em and then the joint looks like a mess (not to mention it sucks to try and find the things you need then)
I plan on getting some 3 drawer plastic carts and giving everything a permenant home, that way set up and break down are quicker and smoother. Also, items can actually be put away when finished being used instead of just tossing somewhere to the side.

Something I've also been bad at is having to pack too much stuff from the kitchen before leaving.
I'll be getting duplicates of everything, that way there's no robbing the favorite tongs or whatever from the kitchen, there's already a pair in the comp gear... same goes for shakers, knives, baggies, foil, etc...

Bring small wooden blocks of different thicknesses to level out tables & tents... even if you're cooking in a parking lot, you'll end up being the guy with the busted up asphalt and a rocky table and a tent pullin some 3 wheel motion. Hopefully you've got the sick beats and metal flake paint to pull it off and still look cool.
Use a wood boring bit to make a slight impression in the block on 1 side so that the table leg/tent leg has something to sit in and won't just slide off the block.

Last edited by KnucklHed BBQ; 07-29-2010 at 04:40 PM..
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #42
bbqdavarrow
Full Fledged Farker

Instead of constantly looking up at the clock I also use a "audio clock" by that I mean I play "Elected" by Alice Cooper which is about 4:20 long. I have played it so much that I know when the song is about 1/2 way done or getting close to the end. And it has become sort of a subconscious clock where you know exactly how much time you have without looking at the clock. It works for me!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #43
Yleekyoti
Full Fledged Farker

Hey George I just did my first comp ever at Easton (18th overall ,7thplace pork) Yea Im happy LOL. YOur book was a big help in that direction. I left friday morning with five gallons of hot water in a drinking cooler and it was still hot when I got home sat night , Thanks for that tip.
One good thing I did was to have enough table space so that every thing I needed was On the tables or under it. No walking back and forth to the truck or trailer looking for stuff.
Looking forward to reading your article.. Thanks again!!!
BoB

Old 07-30-2010, 06:48 AM   #44
Sticks-n-chicks
Full Fledged Farker

Default Another thing that helped me

I don't think this was mentioned but what has helped me more than anything is practicing in my driveway and doing it with how I would set up at a comp. This helped me get my layout down and organize what I needed and what I didn't. Observation of how other team set up and what they use. must have's to me are;
- coleman hot water heater
- table leg extensions
- Comfy chair (making sure the beer cooler is within reach)

But the most important thing to bring to a comp...patience and a sense of humor!

Warm Smoke, Blue Skies...Best of days | Yoder 640 | FEC-100 | ABS Qube | 3 UDC's | WSM | KCBS CBJ
Sticks-n-chicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #45
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Head mounted lights. They make 'em for skiers. Ever try to peer into the back of your smoker at night while trying to mop something and hold a flashlight? Ya, I look like a coal miner, but I always have light where I need it and free hands.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote