MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Question Why even have kcbs/ what can we do?

I got to thinking about this with all of this complaining about the KCBS. Why do we even need them? Granted if you win a Grand you get to go to there invitationals but lets take that out of the consideration. If your not in it for the ToY race what is the point. I say that jokingly, I do understand what they do and it would be nearly impossible to do away with them.(guaranteed prize money, judging, scoring, rules, reps, etc.) How do I, the average member make a difference. How do I hurt them so to speek. How do I make them listen? I don't want to give up my membership and that to me seems the only to make them listen. I understand it is hard to get a group of people to agree on anything but what really bothers me the most is the lack of transparency. If we all had the ability to hear the entire board meeting that would eliminate 95% of the problems. Don't tell me they can't do that, it is a complete joke. If we have the ability to do online elections we have the ability to broadcast our meeting live or the next day on our website. Hell, most of us listen to the BBQ Central show. How the heck dose Greg do it? Dose he work for NASA or something? NO, he wanted to do it and found a way! KCBS can do this if they want to. I am sure we could take a collection and come up with enough money to pay for a microphone and a computer if that is the hold up. Sorry to rant, I just feel if I knew what was going on at the board meeting I might not get so worked up about these things. And if the people on the board new we could hear they might perform differently. What do you guys think?
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

When was the last time you sent an e-mail to any KCBS Board member or attempted to speak to one of them on the phone?

Have you ever called in and listened to a Board meeting?

Did you vote in the last election?

Many of the Board members are also Contest Reps and you can very easily speak to them at an event.

If you want change within the organization, you need to take action yourself and make your voice heard. And voicing it on an internet forum isn't usually the best method to accomplish this goal.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I'll take a shot at answering this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest220 View Post
When was the last time you sent an e-mail to any KCBS Board member or attempted to speak to one of them on the phone?
I had multiple conversations and emails last week and over the weekend. Some BOD members were very prompt in answering and others almost never answer. I don't have phone numbers for most BOD members but for a lot of them.

No but I intend to try to listen to the next few just so I can verify what I'm hearing in private.

I voted for 4 people and only 1 got elected. And we have a family membership and my wife also voted.

Many of the Board members are also Contest Reps and you can very easily speak to them at an event.

I do. Many of the BOD members are friends some closer than others. I don't get to see the East Coast reps very often and same goes for out west although many are still considered friends. And while I may disagree with how they cote and will bust their chops when I next wee them, they are friends.

If you want change within the organization, you need to take action yourself and make your voice heard. And voicing it on an internet forum isn't usually the best method to accomplish this goal.

Agree - if 500 members sent emails asking for an explanation of the Lula vote or the rule changes or the Myrtle Beach vote, etc. we'd get answers. These Forums are for venting and idea exchange but not for communications to the BOD.
And for the record I agree with the first post where he talks about podcasts or webcasts of meetings. And no executive session except for personnell issues. We need to open up meetings and communications and people need to read who keeps voting down open meetings.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest220 View Post

I have not sent an email to any of the members as of now but I will start doing that soon. I know some of them will see this so in a way I have sent it to them. I have not called in as is not user friendly and would rather listen to the meeting on my on time rather than live. I did vote, I voted for someone I knew would make a difference and do a great job. He lost because he was not a popular as some of the others. At least that is the way I feel. I competed or attended 10 contest last year and never saw a board member. I am sure they were at the Royal bet we never crossed paths. And sorry, I disagree with you. Forums are a place to get you voice heard, That's why they are called forums. I do respect your opinions and I will try to contact some members directly.
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I will add this. If you want to change something... quitting or not joining it and working within the actual body itself changes nuthin.

Change comes within. KCBS got the way it is because people quit.... whatever side you are on... it got the way it was because whoever your for or against stayed with it and changed it and the quitters quit.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

As long there is a contest, a shot at the jack, hang out with my freinds, have a chance to win back my money and compete against the best in the nation, I can handle whatever KCBS has going..
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
As long there is a contest, a shot at the jack, hang out with my freinds, have a chance to win back my money and compete against the best in the nation, I can handle whatever KCBS has going..
I agree...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
butts
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Well said! To make a change everyone should support and encourage those that you feel are best to be board members. The only involvement I have with the KCBS is as a member and a cook so if I choose to compete, I deal with the rules.

Shawn
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I am so confused about this entire KCBS drama. How is it affecting our lives? It's not. It seems to me many people have way too much time on their hands and have nothing going on in their lives. I love the KCBS, they give me great weekends and great people to meet.

Please stop wasting your time and crying on forums, put that time into voicing your opinion to the target and maybe you will get somewhere. I said in another blog somewhere. If I spent the time at my business that some people spend crying over BBQ associations I would be RICH.

Enjoy the comps, enjoy, the people, enjoy the food, and be thankful that there are people who volunteer to, to make these comps happen. If you are not involved and don't put in your time you have no right to bitch.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

"guaranteed prize money, judging, scoring, rules, reps, etc." for $35 a year is a bargain in my book

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
"guaranteed prize money, judging, scoring, rules, reps, etc." for $35 a year is a bargain in my book
Sean you could not be any more right!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
falldownbbq
Banned

Default Amen!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post

It was kind of like people complaining about only having 5-10k in prize money, yet the TLC shows are giving away 10k to someone to build the best burger..

Lets see who would cry when they took the comps and turned them into winner take all!! who will be happy then..
falldownbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by falldownbbq View Post
It was kind of like people complaining about only having 5-10k in prize money, yet the TLC shows are giving away 10k to someone to build the best burger..

Lets see who would cry when they took the comps and turned them into winner take all!! who will be happy then..
Dude, you have 4 FEC 750s???

On topic - drama is interesting when there is nothing else going on, but for me - who cares what happens in a board meeting. I've been on enough boards to know that some people will ALWAYS be pleased with the decisions and some people will ALWAYS be pi$$@d. The best leaders ignore both extremes and focus on the majority of folks in the middle.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

I just got my KCBS membership (family)
Part of me is going what the Fark is all this about, no real back story to put it all in context.
After a little while my light bulb went on. It is reminiscent of several non-profits that I have worked with, for and on occasion from within against.
Club mentality meets growing pains. Chit happens, times change

There is room for other sanctioning groups if that is where you want to put your energy. Do so with the expectation that others will also split off that group for their own BBQ ideology. That happens every time there is an assertion of one truth.

I'm fairly new here but it looks as if there will be some BBQ looking like NASCAR and others dirt track and demo derbys, just a matter of time as Que comes into its new skin.
Level setting BBQ for all is my understanding of the Brethren ideal, learning, sharing and yanking each others chains, I like that.
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Also keep in mind that the majority of this drama is being center-staged at Basso's, which is heavily censored. I myself have had two posts removed today, presumably for saying something Ray didn't like. (One post was a reply to a person asking a question about connecting to BBQ people via Facebook)

Deciphering truth from gossip is made doubly difficult when all the information is passed through the filter of a single person's ideas of what should and shouldn't be allowed. Granted the BBQ Forum is Ray's personal property and he absolutely has the right to do whatever he wishes there. I just wish that KCBS would create an official vehicle for the timely exchange of information. Then there wouldn't be so much speculation as to what is up with our organization.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote