UDS questions

allboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A few question maybe someone could answer. I'm looking to build one of these for a friend who does not have the funds for a WSM. Does anyone know of a thread that may answer my question, or give some basic plans?

How tall of a 55 gal. drum do you need?
Is it better to find a drum with a removable lid?
How large of holes top and bottom/how many?
Should I use a Weber Kettle top since I have a extra?

I already did search and found that thread. I have not had time to read it. Its very large. I was looking for a short thread about how to build one with less chatin.
Thanks

Check with some of the WAFO that have built an UDS. I know there are a few in the area.

Washington Folks. swamprb and JD McGee are a few, give them a PM.

Not everything is easy grasshopper. Read the long thread and learn...you will be happy you did.

I read the long thread and i read several short ones plus followed most of em as they were in progress. I built mine over superbowl weekend. after getting a few general ideas. I built it and it worked ok. i modified it today by taking my vertical intakes off to increase the air intakes and it worked like a champ. gotta read if ya wanna succeed!!!

How tall of a 55 gal. drum do you need?
Standard 55 gallon drum is fine

Is it better to find a drum with a removable lid?
If you can find one it is less work but you can cut the top out with a cheap angle grinder.

How large of holes top and bottom/how many?
Bottom, usually 3 or 4 hole using anywhere from 1/2 to 1 inch nipples.
Top, I generally just remove the 2 in bung plug when cooking and replace to kill the fire.

Should I use a Weber Kettle top since I have a extra?
If it will seal good, they work either way.

Send some time cruising the UDS threads to get some ideas. They are pretty much limited to your imagination.

I already did search and found that thread. I have not had time to read it. Its very large. I was looking for a short thread about how to build one with less chatin.
Thanks
Take the time to learn from the folk that have taken the time to learn. It will make your venture more successfull! Keep us posted.

I just found out I'm a WAFO!!

PM sent

Last edited:
There are no shortcuts in life. Nor are there shortcuts in BBQ. Please read the long thread. It has all of the mysteries of the UDS solved. What's a couple of hours in the world of low and slow.

Maybe someone can answer this. How tall of a 55 ga. drum do you need? I'm told they come in different heights. Is this true?

Its up to you!:p 1 rack? 2 racks? as long as your bottom rack is 24 inches above your firebox...
If Wa. folks are WAFO, and Missouri folks are MOFO, does that mean I'm a HIFO?:rolleyes::twisted:sorry couldn't resist, going to my room...

My drums are almost 35 inches. I have one grate but could add another if I had a weber lid.

how tall of a drum do you need for two racks without a Weber top?

My drum is 34.5" Tall used Meatburner's suggestion top rack is 3 3/8"

below top of drum 2nd rack is3 3/8" below top rack. Firebox 2" of bottom

of drum. rack # 2 is 25" from grate on firebox hope this helps:icon_bigsmil

how tall of a drum do you need for two racks without a Weber top?

38" minimum for 2 cooking grates without using a Weber lid IMO

Even with one grate on an average size drum( 34") you will be able to cram a lot of meat on a 22.5" grate.

Seriously, I've only done a couple cooks using two grates, I cook the large cuts like butts, shoulders or brisket on the top grate until its foil time, move them to the sides of the lower rack and do ribs or chicken on top between them so the juices are still able to drip on the coals.

I don't think there really is that much difference between cooking on the 38" or 34" drums IMO, if I use the large I always cook on the higher grate anyway.

It's hard to see in this pic, but I've got a couple butts foiled on the lower rack and 4 racks of ribs on top, with room for 3 or 4 whole chickens!

100_1485.jpg

Unless you're cooking for large groups one grate is plenty big!

Or you could do this ans have 6 or 8 grates.

Attachments

• PICT0016.jpg
    PICT0016.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 60
Back