MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Pizza failure

Well brothers I gotta give those pimpled face kids at Pizza Hut some credit.
Making pizza is a lot harder than it looks. Got dough at Trader Joe's, forming it is a lot harder than it looks. Got my pizza stone/cooker I was so proud of out, fired up old ceramic cooker. Guess what? wont fit . fired up gasser. Tried to slide pizza off board I made it on. Instant Lasagna all over stone. Next attempt a little better. Used more flower.Closed lid on gasser. Went to open lid and stainless rack that holds stone must have slid back wards. Can't open lid, force it open-no more cool thermometer on stainless rack . Very tasty. Next one on slid right off board. Only trouble is all the crap on stone is good and burned by now. Pizza getting black on bottom before top is done. Good thing I have lots of beer to supplement the nutrients I am missing from dinner. Now the wife and kid said they liked it, but now looking in fridge for yogurt. Gonna ask questions or craislist for all pizza hardware and Pizza Hut with the revenue.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes I agree. We did the same thing with the trader Joes dough. That chit is sticky! It took quite a few trys to get it decent. We have been using frozen bread dough from the regular grocery store. It works pretty good, but not as good as I want. We par cooked a bunch of smaller crusts made out of that frozen dough and had a birthday party. We laid out a chit load of different toppings and had everyone make their own littles pizzas. All the people there(mostly non foodies!) thought they were great, me not so much. I guess what has mostly helped us out, besides my wife having more patience than me, is lots of practice. Oh, time to go, she just pulled some calzones off the Egg right now, this is her first attempt at these! Good luck.
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA
jtfisher63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Brauma

Try cornmeal or polenta on your peel to help pizza slide off. Also try rice flour.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma View Post
Try cornmeal or polenta on your peel to help pizza slide off. Also try rice flour.
I love the cornmeal that a local pizza joint uses . . . it's almost my favorite flavor on their pizza.

But seriously, I love their pizza and they've even expanded into the Kansas City area . . .
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
swamprb

I had that happen to me before I got a pizza peel, I was trying to slide the pie on an aluminum tray and it slid off the platesetter into the Egg, and I had a half dozen hungry teenagers breathing down my back with plates in their hands, patiently awaiting my masterpiece. The long faces are forever ingrained in my mind!
Try the corn meal or parchment paper on the stone.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
JD McGee

I've been playin' around with pizzas on the egg for a few weeks now and a peel and cornmeal are my best friends.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

I use Kosher salt on my peel. The corn meal scorches too easily. The salt gives a nice flavor.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote