• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Big ugly Drum Smoker.

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well a certain Brethren came to Bash bearing gifts. A large bottle of Sky vodka and a 85 gallon drum! We both want to build a hybrid drum so mine it the prototype. We had talked about some type os ash catcher. Also since it is 26" diameter standard weber grills don't fit. A little quality internet time and I found Sears/Kmart sells a "Magnum Companion grill" that is 26" diameter.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...&+Outdoors&cName=Grills&sName=Charcoal+Grills
Went ahead and purchased one (on sale also). My idea was to use ash catcher and base on drum. Lid fits bottom of drum lip perfect. I decided to flip drum over and mount ash catcher and part of base (cut down to try and keep overall height as short as possible) to drum top which would now be cooker bottom. Doing this and using clamping band would allow for disassembly to clean when needed. I went on Ebay and bid and won a drum deheader to cut out bottom which would now be top of cooker.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=290135135987&rd=1&rd=1
Figured investment well worth offsetting loss of finger grinding off bottom.
Here are some pics. Going to try and set up photo album.
How top fits drum
Picture001.jpg

Removable ash catcher on base.
Picture003.jpg

Here is how grill fits.
Picture004.jpg

Tacking cut base
IMG_2430.jpg

Weded base (not to good with thin stuff yet :eusa_clap )
IMG_2432.jpg

Pat! Can you weld some chit for me brudda!!!! I was at my dads shop yesterday and he gave me strip of metal with 1/2 inch holes thru out.
Spent every waking moment I could with it today bending it and shaping it into a charcoal box for my offset.
Had some pretty good luck, but I'm not so sure how I'm gonna fuse the one loose end together. I need to learn how to use the mig or tig wichever. Frustrating.....

What kind of metal? If we can figure how to hook up, I work 3rd. shift.

Did I say I was jealous? Not just of your S.U.D.S--
SUPER UGLY DRUM SMOKER, but all the metal work you guys can do!
Filing a hole to make the pipe nipples fit is just not macho! :p
Norco, show a pic of the cut that deheader gives... DEEZ and Tony cut right under the lip with a grinder and it breaks a seal and the top come right off...I haven't figured out how to do that yet...
wait...I just got a your PM...too funny

Its a little bit thicker than sheet metal. I can cut it with a regular metal blade using my wifes cordless Makita.

Chit, I dunno maybe I just rig up some coat hanger wire or some thing. Things looking sweet though.

Ok...now Im going nuts. Sometimes pics wont show up for me on my work computer and Im dying to see them. Maybe you can email em to me later.

I thought about complaining to the computer dudes here...but I better not :icon_shy

Thats the chit right there. Taking the drum to a whole new level. I assume you're going to have to put some kind of legs on it? What are your plans there?

Looking good though!

Thats the chit right there. Taking the drum to a whole new level. I assume you're going to have to put some kind of legs on it? What are your plans there?

Looking good though!
Farker is heavy and probably to top heavy for legs. Plan is to put standoffs and attach to dolly using wheels that came with grill. Man the kids bed frame is awfull nice steel angle :twisted: . Hell the rest of her stuff in the bedroom is on the floor why not the matteress?

Que'n and Nap'n

Farker is heavy and probably to top heavy for legs. Plan is to put standoffs and attach to dolly using wheels that came with grill. Man the kids bed frame is awfull nice steel angle :twisted: . Hell the rest of her stuff in the bedroom is on the floor why not the matteress?

Just leave the mattress on the frame and you could smoke and catch up on some zzz's at the same time...Man, that is shaping up to be an impressive,
beastly smoker!!!!! Outstanding!!!! What do you think? Maybe smoke half a hog at a time? Good work Brother!!!!!

Very nice job, I had an idea for something like that but I was going to use more of the bottom and weld some legs to the bowl. I have been looking for some 26" grills only but not much success so far finding them for a decent price. weber 26" are about $45 dollars which seems very high
Mike

I found new 85gal un lined drums with removeable tops for $185 here. Man am I thinking about building my own! Ok, 26" grates, I can order from weber $$$ maybe buy from kmart/sears $$ or I can go to my local weld shop and see how much they would charge me to make a few 26" diameter expanded metal grates ?$? not sure how much that one would cost me.

pretty cool.....nice work!:biggrin:

Despite hangover and heat got some more acomplished. Had to quit because tools to hot to pick up.
IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

Back