Mustard-Based Sauce

Blutch

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Had a party for my students and served chopped pork on a bun. i served it with Head Country sauce.

One of my students from Georgia (I'm in Oklahoma) complained that I didn't provide a "mustard-based" sauce like he gets at home in Georgia.

I had to admit I'd never heard of it. Can anyone here illuminate me?

B

Had a party for my students and served chopped pork on a bun. i served it with Head Country sauce.

One of my students from Georgia (I'm in Oklahoma) complained that I didn't provide a "mustard-based" sauce like he gets at home in Georgia.

I had to admit I'd never heard of it. Can anyone here illuminate me?

B
Check out Williams' Grillin' Sauces.....blatent plug!

you can find them in my signature:biggrin:

Dr BBQ's mustard sauce in the Big-Time BBQ cookbook is excellent. I highly recommend it.

Jay's is great. Cattlemen's now sells one and Blueshog has a really nice one.

Beware, once you try a good mustard based sauce I don't think you will want anything else. I am also in Georgia and it is about all you will be offered at BBQ rest. throughout our area. I guess we love it or have learned to love it without many other options. I personally don't want anything else.

Anyone have a simple recipe? I've never made any sauce, so I don't really know what it takes.

B

Try the Caroline Mustard sauce from hesmellslikesmoke's post. Very similiar to mine I would just cut the red wine vinegar down some. I personally use apple cider vinegar but all else is very close. You could surely start there and tweek to your liking. Very easy to make.

The mustard sauce in the back of Raichlen's "How to Grill" book is very good. I substitute extra hot polish mustard for the dijon he calls for.

i use yellow mustard, cider vinegar, franks hot sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and a little molasses. heat and eat!

phil

Try the Caroline Mustard sauce from hesmellslikesmoke's post. Very similar to mine I would just cut the red wine vinegar down some. I personally use apple cider vinegar but all else is very close. You could surely start there and tweek to your liking. Very easy to make.

Definitely. Very similar to my recipe too. I too use apple cider vinegar. I use red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper instead of black.

I don't personally care for mustard based sauces... but... around here there is that Georgia influence so I usually serve it. The Cattleman's Gold is well liked. If I had to use one though it would be the Blueshog. It is as good as I have had!!

I spent some time in Ft. Jackson SC. Got exposed to mustard bbq sauce. Most folks either hate it or love it. I really like a good mustard sacue with my pulled pork. As mentioned Cattleman's makes one of the best IMO, but i've never tried Blues Hog's version. Maybe that will be on my next order.

I use Reverend Marvins sauce. www.revmarvin.com True SC style Mustard Q Sauce.
I blend it 50/50 with any thick KC style sauce, I like it combo'd with Okla Joes and with Blues Hog Original.
It's runny but great as a final glaze, especially with chicken or blended with your pulled pork.

Back