Left over/partially used fuel question

bosco0633

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
When you snuff out the bbq after a cook, there are still chunks of lump in various levels of burntness?? if that is the word. Do you just toss all of that or do you keep it in there for the next cook? How do you incorporate partially left over pieces in a minion cook? Or would you just toss everything and start fresh.

I am going to do ribs today, and want to set the smoker up. I don't have enough experience to say that is still good. I have some white pieces, some grey pieces and a few with some black and some white.

My thought is to just toss all of it and start fresh ???

thanks

I just shake out the ash and put it in my charcoal chimney to start the new lump. If I have a lot left, I will put my new lump on top..... I's just charcoal, as long as it isn't wet or has sat in dampness for a long time, all should be well.

Don't waste the coals!

I shake out the baskets so that all the ash and small pieces fall out of it. Then I just leave the coals where they are and add fresh lit coals to it. If there is quite a bit of used coals just dump the coals into the chimney and light them off.

If it is in your wsm just pile up some fresh coals with them and start it off minion method style.

I just shake out the ash and put it in my charcoal chimney to start the new lump. If I have a lot left, I will put my new lump on top..... I's just charcoal, as long as it isn't wet or has sat in dampness for a long time, all should be well.

^ yep for the leftover charcoal in the Weber. I'll also pull partially burnt leftovers out of my stickburner firebox and use that in the Weber.

I reuse charcoal almost everytime I cook. I take the charcoal basket out of the uds, shake the ashes out, then load new lump right on top of the old. Works perfectly.

Good to know. I actually experienced this last weekend where I shook out the ash and had a bunch of leftover, semi-burned lump coal left over. I made the mistake of just dumping a dozen lit briquettes on top. Wasn't enough to get the smoker up and running as the temps barely got above 200 degrees.

So adding fresh lump coal on top seems to be important!

Never throw away left over charcoal unless it is wet or got damp. if there isn't enough left over for me to use for current cook i will shake off the ash then dump the left overs on some kraft paper, dump a new bag in the basket then dump the left overs on top. then light with the weed burner when ready to cook.

I remove the ashes and put fresh lit on top. If it happens to get wet, I'll allow it to dry.

Back