MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockman View Post
Thank you for clearing up all the comments. Would love to try a easy marinate so any suggestions would be great.
Some of the best briskets I've tasted were made without any marinade. The two absolute worst briskets I've tasted did use some type of marinade.
DubfromGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I nominate Landarc for Secretary of 'Splaining Things.
lol. I second.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Dockman
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyG View Post
Where did you get it from?
Sam's club

Old 02-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Dockman,try the brisket in my signature!
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't marinade, or inject (unless I am messing around with competition techniques). But, if you simply must, use beef broth and the rub you are going to cook with. Just heat up a couple of cups of no salt or low salt beef broth, add in two tablespoons of rub. Cool completely and then marinate brisket in that overnight. It will add a little flavor, not much else. But, it won't screw anything up either.

Twas me, I would just rub it up tomorrow an hour before the cook.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
Tommyboy48
Full Fledged Farker

If you want to marinade...just inject, rub and throw that puppy on the smoker. No need to complicate the process.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #22
Dockman
Got Wood.

Thanks everyone for the help! I will be smoking this bad boy Saturday and will just use a rub. I'll post up some pictures with my results.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #23
Dockman
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayoustateBBQ View Post
Dockman,try the brisket in my signature!
I have used this method in the past twice once was great and once was not! Could have been one was prime and other was choice? That is something I have never paid attention to but will from now on.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #24
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Do keep trying. I also highly recommend taking notes about what you do including prep, rub recipe, smoking wood, cooker temperature and so on. I always finish with comments on the results and what I would do differently next time.

I also suggest not to overcomplicate this. I rub my brisket (Raichlen's coffee rub) and put it on the cooker after I get it fired up. And I get good results.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
Dockman
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Do keep trying. I also highly recommend taking notes about what you do including prep, rub recipe, smoking wood, cooker temperature and so on. I always finish with comments on the results and what I would do differently next time.

I also suggest not to overcomplicate this. I rub my brisket (Raichlen's coffee rub) and put it on the cooker after I get it fired up. And I get good results.
Just like my drag boat racing days "need to keep records" I will do it!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Dont marinade prime. Use the KISS priciple- keep it simple Put on your rub let it si for several hours or overnight. Put it on smoker when you see the blue smoke asnd cook between 225-250 Dont put on too much woodlet us know how things turn out
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #27
BayoustateBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockman View Post
I have used this method in the past twice once was great and once was not! Could have been one was prime and other was choice? That is something I have never paid attention to but will from now on.
hahahaha mine was a select grade and it still turned out awesome. Had a huge hard fat cap onit. I must have cut off a few pounds of hard fat.
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #28
BayoustateBBQ

I would say deffinantly say marinade and inject your lower grades of choice. keep in mind you can have 10 choice briskets and they are not all the same. That's where "you know what you're looking for" really helps.
[/SIZE]

Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #29
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Prime is something you work up to it's not the same as others unless its mislabeled, do a few select then a lot of choice moving along to CAB prime. I don't know why people go heavy with a sit in marinade I would be looking at a injection over that, most of these fakers know what there talking about on here they've done the leg work, but this world is based on ideas so best of luck brotha on this horse of a different color will be watching..

Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #30
Noob

That is a great price for prime...where did u get it?

Nevermind, didn't see there was a 2nd page to this thread