MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
certified106
Full Fledged Farker

Default Whole Hog

Due to where I live and my lack of access to a decent store without driving at least an hour one way it is extremely hard for me to find any pork products that are fresh or aren't packaged in solution. So yesterday I ran into a a local guy who sells all natural pork and poultry. The hogs are raised on his farm by him and his family and after talking with him for the better part of an hour he told me to swing by and check the place out. So yesterday I ran over there and bought a couple of packs of fresh baby backs and a boston butt off of him.

So after talking with him for awhile I was pretty impressed and found out they butcher every two weeks so if they don't have exactly what you are looking for you just have to let them know and they will make sure they cut up and package whatever you want the next time they butcher. Another thing I really liked was they fact they make all their own sausage, links, and smoke their own hams.

My question is he was telling me we may want to look into just purchasing a whole hog and to purchase a whole hog we were looking and $2.29 per lb hanging weight with an average $75 slaughter fee and on a 160 lb hog we could expect to get around 100lbs of packaged meat. So after you do the approximate math the price per lb is around $4.41 per lb. What are your thoughts on the final price per lb is it around what you would expect or higher than normal. Thanks for any info as this is the first time I have considered purchasing one this way.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Sounds a little high to me. Sounds like he know's the area market in regards to availability of quality product and is charging accordingly.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
certified106
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Sounds a little high to me. Sounds like he know's the area market in regards to availability of quality product and is charging accordingly.
That's kind of what I was thinking to. It seems like they are really pushing the organically raised thing to get the price per lb up.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking to. It seems like they are really pushing the organically raised thing to get the price per lb up.
Ahhh...now that word right there explains it! I saw the "all Natural" in your OP, but if they're using the organic label also, that explains the price. And if it is truly organic raised meat, then that is a good price compared to around here. At the local farmers market here, organic pork is any where between $8 to $10 a lb. I believe that going right to the farmer, it's still around $5 a lb or so.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Johnny Ca$h
Full Fledged Farker

It's a lil far from you 2+ hours but if you ever up north check out Strasburg Provision Inc

1317 North Wooster Avenue, Strasburg, OH
(330) 878-5557 ()‎ I drive about 45 min to get there and well worth it !