Beer Can Chickens on the UDS (prOn)

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
Just a couple of 4 pound beer can chickens on the UDS.
Marinaded over night in Italian dressing, sealed in a zip lock bag.
Slow roasted at 250 degrees, apple chunks & pecan shell smoke.
Plowboys, Yardbird rub. Best Beer Can Chicken I have ever made. (only 2nd time. 1st try was under cooked)

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

that looks great :thumb: how was the skin texture? I love beer can chicken but never done it on the UDS. I may have to try this out.

could you actually taste the beer? everytime i've tried beer can chicken, the beer imparted absolutely NO flavor.

they look great! who ate the butt off the one on the right?:heh:
jlm

they look great! who ate the butt off the one on the right?:heh:
jlm
The dog.

could you actually taste the beer? everytime i've tried beer can chicken, the beer imparted absolutely NO flavor.
No taste either.

that looks great :thumb: how was the skin texture? I love beer can chicken but never done it on the UDS. I may have to try this out.
The skin was solid. I did not eat it. The dog ate it.

How long did they take?
This is why I did not say how long I roasted them in the UDS at 250 degrees. I read where everyone likes to pull them at 160 or 170 and let them rest. The last time I did that I still had red at the joint. I check temps with my Maverick ET-732 and a thermoworks 6 second thermometer.
This time I went to 185. I know, I know, "It's going to be dry". It was just as moist as can be and tender. I'm going to do 3 more this weekend, they were so good. Even the wings & drums were moist. My son cooks them the same way. He's the one who showed me.

This time I went to 185. I know, I know, "It's going to be dry". It was just as moist as can be and tender. I'm going to do 3 more this weekend, they were so good. Even the wings & drums were moist. My son cooks them the same way. He's the one who showed me.

I let a turkey get away on my drum, got to 190. Probe shot juices at me.
Every body loved it.

And I love my drum.

looks great! i love smoking with pecan shells. did my turkey for thanksgiving with cherry and apple chunks and pecan shells and the smoke was like a sweet perfume and the taste showed the same

it's possible to impart flavor. you have to use a porcelin "chicken sitter" and a beer with some flavor. (think double ipa, russian imperial stout, imperial porter.....) i posted a thread about this some time last year or the year before.

Try orange juice once. I have used beer, soda & OJ (separately) and all 3 turned out awesome. With the OJ, I did have a citrusy taste to it. All came out more moist than any my wife has ever done in the oven. Just enough room to squeeze it in my Weber.

it's possible to impart flavor. you have to use a porcelin "chicken sitter" and a beer with some flavor. (think double ipa, russian imperial stout, imperial porter.....) i posted a thread about this some time last year or the year before.

can you link me to a chicken sitter that you believe works?

i've used plenty of amazing beers with big bold flavor, but still never tasted any effect.

i can see how a appropriate chicken sitter might work, but i'm convinced that a can alone will not have any effect.

Back