MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
CUErious
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Differences between Large and XL EGGs

Any Eggheads out there willing to help me out with some advice on the quality of cooks between the Large Egg and XL for competition cooking? ..same?

I am leaning towards an XL simply because I like the capacity, but I've been told by a few Competitors to go with the Large. Would also love to know if 2 briskets and 2 butts can simultaneously cook on an XL. I've been told the Large is actually higher than the XL and permits a little more stacking... Thanks!
CUErious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

I have an XL Kamato that is over 48 years old and a L black egg. I would not cook brisket or pork butt on either at a contest due to the weight of the cooker and the cost of gas to transport them along with the amount of lump needed. That being said, a WSM works well for all of the catagories and is a bit lighter, not to mention the cost of the unit.

I would consider using one or the other of the egg type products for a local contest to cook the chicken or ribs as they can be double stacked.

The bottom line is the cost vs other options that would give you a backup just in case.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I'l start by saying some of this is conjecture on my part -- I used to own a large but never an XL.

To answer your last question first, the internal height difference isn't as big a deal now as it used to be. The old XLs had a low dome; the new ones are higher so it is not as big an issue.

Are you asking if you can do 2 briskets and 2 butts in one XL? I think that would be difficult but may be possible. You would probably be better off just doing 1 brisket. Make it a big one since you are only doing one; maybe even a Wagyu.

I believe you can never have enough cooking area so the XL would be my preference, but there is a big weight penalty going up to the XL. How do you plan to transport?

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Ponderosa BBQ
On the road to being a farker

i own multilpe eggs love both of them greatly they both cook the same i do my briskets on both of them the xl obvious gives you more room.
Ponderosa BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

So we compete using 2-3 Lg and 1 XL BGE. I have some items for you to consider.

1. It holds heat VERY and has a great ability to keep a temp for long periods. On a large I can go 20+ hours on 1/2-3/4 bag of lump with no refilling.
2. You need a Stoker so you can easily sleep through the night
3. You need a rig to double up the space. With a rig the XL could do maybe 5-7 butts and a bunch of briskets.
4. They weigh a ton and since we use ours on our back patio's packing up for a comp is a pain in the a$$. We have 2 of the three in large tables with big wheels. One or two are in customized nests.
5. For 2012 we are going to swap to a stick burner. I know sleep decreases, but loading, cooking and packing up become much easier.
6. many teams that cook at comps do not use XL (some do), but prefer several Lg's. Yabba Dabba Que, which winds a ton, uses 3 larges and a medium (I think) all in store bought stainless tables.

-Hope this helps

Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a large BGE and a Primo Oval XL...I can do 1 packer brisket and 2 pork butts on my LBGE with a grate stacker...but I can do 2 packers and 3-4 butts on the Primo using the grate stackers. We do not use any of them for comps as they are a royal pain to transport. Good luck!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote