Vons Spare Rib Scam...

inv3ctiv3

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Not really a scam but I was pissed, they had pork spares on sale for $1.27/lb so I thought score! They were in boxes so you couldn't see what they looked like so I was a little skeptical but bought 3 boxes worth (each box weighed 10lbs) and I got home only to find out that they are the worst pork spares I've ever seen! Almost no meat on them whatsoever and they are cut up into 1/3's....Needless to say I am returning them so watch out if you shop at Vons.

Sounds like you got the Karubi style pork spare ribs, I tried them once, not enough meat on the bones to make the cook worth it.

Did they look like this?

KarubiRibs004-1.jpg

Yea they say product of denmark on them, they are all bone with a tiny bit of meat on them, definitely not worth cooking IMO.

Vons has been selling those Denmark spares for years. I fell for it too, a couple of years ago. Never again.

Fark that! Take it back! 1/3's?? They must want you to boil them.

I bought a rack yesterday at Stater Bros, 1.47.

I bought some super cheap pork "back loin ribs." I found out why they were half the price of reputable brands. I did a nice 5 hour smoke on them with foil and apple juice and could not get those things to bend or tear in the test to save my life. Finally after about 8 hours I just got out the serrated blade cut them up and attempted to eat. They were like I just put them over gas direct for 15 minutes. I finally gave up and did 8 hours more in a crock pot until the next morning and they still weren't tender. I ended up just tossing them. Good god they were a bad product!

Did you go to the Staters on Firestone near Studebaker? How did they look and who processed them?

I believe thats the one. It's across the street from Shakeys, where Firestone and Imperial cross.

I believe they are Farmer Johns brand. They're aren't the best I've purchased, but they aren't bad either. Average/good meat on them. They also have loin backs at 2.77, those are definitely Farmer John and come in the cryovac.

Yea they say product of denmark on them, they are all bone with a tiny bit of meat on them, definitely not worth cooking IMO.

Safeway stores in the DC metro area have these too, BEWARE!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Safeway's circular with pork spareribs for $1.59/lb... Figuring there would be a run on these, I left the office for lunch a few minutes early on a mission to buy as many racks as I could fit in the freezer, only to find these Maverick brand, boxed cryos labeled "Product of Denmark". I had to go to the butcher counter to verify and the butcher simply shrugged her shoulders and winced at my skeptical look.

Dejected, I purchased one rack of the normal "extra meaty" at $3.49/lb and vowed to finally join Costco.

Interesting thread.

We don't have a Vons anywhere near, so I can't check this out.

But I would like to know: What the he!! do the Dutch do to their pigs so they have no meat on their ribs?

Safeway stores in the DC metro area have these too, BEWARE!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Safeway's circular with pork spareribs for $1.59/lb... Figuring there would be a run on these, I left the office for lunch a few minutes early on a mission to buy as many racks as I could fit in the freezer, only to find these Maverick brand, boxed cryos labeled "Product of Denmark". I had to go to the butcher counter to verify and the butcher simply shrugged her shoulders and winced at my skeptical look.

Dejected, I purchased one rack of the normal "extra meaty" at $3.49/lb and vowed to finally join Costco.

Makes sense because Safeway is Vons or vice versa.

I bought a two pack cryovac at Staters this morn. They looked good. Got some beef back ribs also. Just finished dinner - they WERE good!

Back