Looking for recipes (seafood)

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am looking for seafood recipes. I am pretty good at cooking outside on the grill and smoker but I am looking to be just as good at cooking inside as I am outside. The main reason I am looking for seafood is because A.) it's better for you & B.) I love seafood. I really want to learn a lot of different recipes or cooking all sorts of seafood. Do any of you have any good sites I can use for reference or maybe are willing to share some of your own recipes with me? I would appreciate it!

I really want to know how to do a seafood boil/steam like Joe's crab shack makes. If you don't know what I'm talking about just google them. They basically take fresh seafood, potatoes, sausage, and corn. Then they combine them all in a net and season it with some sort of spices and then they either steam it or boil it all together and it comes out awesome!

I would also like to know how to make "zuppa de pesc" it's basically a spicy seafood soup/pasta that has a ton of different types of seafood in it with just a little bit of pasta.

In a nutshell I really just want to know how to cook seafood inside on the stove. I'll take any and all recipes I can get.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Doesn't cover the dishes you mentioned, but check here...
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/category?categoryID=13

You could sub out the crawfish with shrimp, crabs, whatever, and use this recipe for a boil as a guideline.
http://www.zatarains.com/Recipes/Main-Dish/Easy-Boiled-Crawfish.aspx

If you can, try to find Zatarains liquid crab and seafood boil. I like it a lot better than the powdered ones. But be careful, a little goes a long way

BTW - not sure how Joe's does it, but we use a turkey fryer with a steamer basket for our boils. Outside

My uncle's recipe from his cookbook

brodetto (fish stew) Ancona style

brodetto, a fish stew with a tomato base, is a specialty of the Marche region of Italy. there are several recipes for brodetto, even within the Marche. this recipe belongs to the provence of Ancona. in this recipe, we are using fish available to the southern united states.

2 1/2 to 3 pounds of mixed fish - swordfish, orange roughy, squid, red snapper, shrimp, clams, mussels, lobster. clean the clams and mussels well and put them into the stew whole. when i make brodetto for a large group, i cook the whole lobster in the stew. then i remove the meat from the tail, chop it and put it in the stew. i put the whole remaining lobster shell on top for presentation.

1 onion, chopped
1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, pureed or peeled and mashed
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 cup chopped parsley
red pepper flakes to taste
1/2 cup white vinegar or 1 cup white wine
olive oil
salt and pepper
about 3 cups fish stock
6 slices firm bread (one per person)

cut fish into large pieces. heat olive oil in large saucepan, dutch oven, or preferable, a clay pot. add onion, garlic, carrot, celery, bay leaves, parsley and red pepper flakes. cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

add tomatoes and cook about 15 minutes. then add fish, beginning with the fish that takes the longest to cook. add pepper and salt. add vinegar (or wine). when wine has evaporated, add fish stock. the amount of fish stock is determined by the amount of liquid in the pot. th brodetto should be very soupy. cover and cook 15 minutes.

toast the bread and place a slice at the bottom of each person's bowl. ladle brodetto over bread and serve immediately.

some versions of brodetto use saffron instead of red pepper flakes and white wine instead of vinegar. also, you can substitute rice for bread.

fish stock

1 or 2 pounds of throw-away parts of fish
1 onion
2 carrots
3 ribs celery
3 quarts water

put all ingredients in a large pot and boil gently for 2 hours. strain. you may freeze extra stock.

Here a gumbo recipe I got from some where that is really good.

SEAFOOD GUMBO

1/4 cup oil
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups onion, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon chicken base
3 cups water
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/3 cup dried parsley
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes seasoned with garlic, basil, and oregano or 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes
4 cups sliced Cajun-style fresh link sausage
4 cups cut okra (fresh or frozen)
2 cups oysters and liquor
1/2 pound crabmeat
1 1/2 pounds fresh peeled shrimp
3 cups bay scallops
File powder

In a large pot combine oil and flour. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the roux has browned to a light chocolate color. Add onion, pepper, celery and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add chicken broth, and chicken base, stirring as you go. Add water, bay leaves, thyme, basil, parsley, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper, soy sauce and tomatoes. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. Add to pot along with okra. Cover pot and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add oysters, crabmeat, shrimp and scallops. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Serve over hot buttered rice. Sprinkle with file powder on top of bowl and stir in.

Pan Seared Sea Scallops with Capellini Pomodoro

Here's a link to a post I did here on the Brethren last month...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103448

MJT_6695.jpg

Mike
OakridgeBBQ.com

Back