MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Mrdeville
Full Fledged Farker

Smile Myron Mixons books

What's the difference between Myron's books...
Everyday BBQ and Smokin? Anyone know?

Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Everyday has some of his Smokin stuff, but it mainly focuses on sides and what to do with leftovers, etc.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Nygfan2283
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I own both books, Smokin' is based on stuff he cooks in competition. Whole pork shoulders, whole hog etc. Everyday BBQ is more of a collection of recipes that do not require the time and commitment to prepare, stuff you could make for dinner in a few hours. I have to be honest tho, ive tried a few of his recipes and im not really a fan. Now, I use his books as more of an idea and then make it my own.
Nygfan2283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Mrdeville
Full Fledged Farker

I have Smokin, I was wondering if Everyday BBQ was worth buying.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

I have both, an yes i too use them as ideas/reading material. You have to watch the ingredient list there is missing/wrong ingredients. Like if you make his corn bread frisbee

Old 08-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

Buy it as more of a magazene than a cookbook

Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
Buy it as more of a magazene than a cookbook
I agree on Smokin anyway

I bought it just to read it, the recipes are pretty out there. I have done a few but thats it.

I bought a few books I like a lot more, like Smoke and Spice, Big Bob Gibsons BBQ Book, Ray Lampe's Dr BBQ Big Time BBQ Cookbook and Peace, Love and BBQ

I really like Ray Lampe
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
kujay
Knows what a fatty is.

I like Smokin and use some of the recipes fairly often. I used Chris Lilly's book a lot more though.

Everyday is kind of a drag. I'm far from a pro, but it's way too dumbed down.
kujay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujay View Post
I like Smokin and use some of the recipes fairly often. I used Chris Lilly's book a lot more though.
I agree with this completely. Smokin' is a good starting point for recipes, but he is clearly leaving ingredients out. Also, I question some of his recommended "panning" timings/techniques. Lily's book is still #1 overall IMO.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekingPorker View Post
I agree with this completely. Smokin' is a good starting point for recipes, but he is clearly leaving ingredients out. Also, I question some of his recommended "panning" timings/techniques. Lily's book is still #1 overall IMO.
It's a good strategy. Try recipe, be depressed that it doesn't work, spend 750 at his school to get the "real" recipe

Old 08-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #11
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
It's a good strategy. Try recipe, be depressed that it doesn't work, spend 750 at his school to get the "real" recipe
It's BS. If he wants to put his name on that sh!!, he deserves all the bashing he receives. People pay hard earned money for these books and then end up with piss poor recipes. It's a sham and he should be ashamed.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Right on , brother.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:52 AM   #13
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

Wink

[QUOTE=grantw;2588573]Buy it as more of a magazene than a cookbook[/QUOTE

It has some good pictures in it.......

Old 08-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
stevek813
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I am on the other side of the fence than all of the others in this thread are on 'ole Myron's books. I like them.

I too own both of the books but prefer "Smokin" over "Everyday BBQ" becasue "Smokin" is more about competition style and the other is just a fairly run-of-the-mill recipe book of things to cook on a grill.

The reason I am on the other side of the fence is becasue I actually followed Myron's recipe to the letter for St. Louis style ribs a couple of weeks ago and the results were outstanding.

I went through every step in the process including marinating the ribs, using his recipe for rub, used his glaze, used his spritz every 15 minutes for a couple of hours and even cooked them in a pan. I even used his favorite wood (peach) for smoke.

I followed the recipe exactly as they appear in the book because I wanted to see if all of his mouthing on BBQ Pitmasters had any substance. As it turns out, in my opinion the results were definitely there.

Love Myron or hate him, the guy knows how to cook. And for those folks that are expecting him to give up his exact recipes, that is NEVER going to happen and if you read the book closely, Myron doesn't try to hide the fact that the recipes in the book are in fact different than what he uses when he is in competition.

Remember folks, competing is how Myron makes a good portion of his living and he is not going to print the keys to the kingdom for everyone to use. He is also not going to give up the real recipes at his cooking school even for the $750 bucks. They might be different than what is in the books but they won't be what he really uses.

And finally, as one of the other people in this thread pointed out, you have to be careful with some of the recipes becasue there are a couple of printing mistakes that I ran into. The one glaring error is that his basic rub calls for 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper when it should have clearly been 2 teaspoons.

I hope this helps!!!
stevek813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek813 View Post
I am on the other side of the fence than all of the others in this thread are on 'ole Myron's books. I like them.

I too own both of the books but prefer "Smokin" over "Everyday BBQ" becasue "Smokin" is more about competition style and the other is just a fairly run-of-the-mill recipe book of things to cook on a grill.

The reason I am on the other side of the fence is becasue I actually followed Myron's recipe to the letter for St. Louis style ribs a couple of weeks ago and the results were outstanding.

I went through every step in the process including marinating the ribs, using his recipe for rub, used his glaze, used his spritz every 15 minutes for a couple of hours and even cooked them in a pan. I even used his favorite wood (peach) for smoke.

I followed the recipe exactly as they appear in the book because I wanted to see if all of his mouthing on BBQ Pitmasters had any substance. As it turns out, in my opinion the results were definitely there.

Love Myron or hate him, the guy knows how to cook. And for those folks that are expecting him to give up his exact recipes, that is NEVER going to happen and if you read the book closely, Myron doesn't try to hide the fact that the recipes in the book are in fact different than what he uses when he is in competition.

Remember folks, competing is how Myron makes a good portion of his living and he is not going to print the keys to the kingdom for everyone to use. He is also not going to give up the real recipes at his cooking school even for the $750 bucks. They might be different than what is in the books but they won't be what he really uses.

And finally, as one of the other people in this thread pointed out, you have to be careful with some of the recipes becasue there are a couple of printing mistakes that I ran into. The one glaring error is that his basic rub calls for 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper when it should have clearly been 2 teaspoons.

I hope this helps!!!
My favorite from his Smokin book is the Apple Bacon Stuffed Checken Breasts.

I am making them for a party on Sat
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote