275gal offset smoker techniques and suggestions

NC-Q, I am considering modifying the firebox because I really want to use it as a smoker. I was just trying to figure with was best to completely take the old one off or some kind of way just add the extra metal to it.

Tony T, I will definitely put some pics up when I finish it on Sat. It may not be the most beautiful paint job since I am a fresh DIYer. LOL! Will definitely post pics though.

Mike, That's not a fourth stack. It's actually a pipe with an old window weight to leverage the weight of the lid.

Hey guys check out the new pics. Me and my 14 yo son painted the smoker this past weekend. He is just as excited about firing it up as I am. Of course, he just loves to eat, too!

So it looks like Friday is going to be the "fire it up" day. My in-laws are coming in the evening and what better way to greet them with a few slabs of ribs and chicken.

I am going to try some of your suggestions of using wood. I will use charcoal to get it started and hickory the rest of the way. If I'm not on the right track stop me let me know, if I am on the right track I'll send you all nice bbq pron on Sunday night or Monday.

Attachments

• painted1.jpg
    painted1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 98
  • painted2.jpg
    painted2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 98
  • painted3.jpg
    painted3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 99
  • painted4.jpg
    painted4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 99
  • painted5.jpg
    painted5.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 99
Also, I am picking up new tires for it tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions for temperature thermometers?

That is definitely a carolina hog cooker. The firebox is there to burn the wood down to the coals and with hog cookers, you put the coal into the actual cooker below the hog for direct heat. I see a bunch of these style cookers in around VA Beach during pig pickins.

Fellas, I cleaned out the grill and firebox when I got home to find something interesting.

The first picture is the hole in the firebox. The heat then goes into like a long heat duct (second picture) across the length of the chamber and arrives at the third stack which controls the heat.

So no smoke actually gets to the chamber from the firebox but it heats the chamber.

Unless I get this modified, I really have no choice but to smoke from the chamber which I really don't have a problem with.

Attachments

• grillsetup1.jpg
    grillsetup1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 87
  • grillsetup2.jpg
    grillsetup2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 87
  • grillsetup3.jpg
    grillsetup3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 87
I have a smoker that is made out of a 275 gal tank. It is reverse flow so the cook chamber is a little smaller, but my firebox is 28" x 28" x 28" so I would agree you need a much larger firebox.

What is the diameter of those smoke stacks? That seems like a lot of exhaust volume. You want to make sure the size of the firebox and smoke stacks are proportionate to each other and the size of your cook chamber so you get a good draft without losing too much heat. Check this out for help: http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

As far as Thermometers, the Tel-Tru smoker thermometers are awesome and extremely accurate for a bi-metal thermometer. http://www.teltru.com/s-141-anodized-aluminum-dial.aspx

Edit: Just saw the last two posts. Guess I should have read that first :doh: It would definitely work well as-is for a hog cooker as aawa described. If you want to modify it into a sweet reverse flow pit, you would just have to remove that end stack, seal up the end and open that duct up on that side, plus build a larger firebox. Either way it is a nice piece to have! If you cook a whole hog on that thing you gotta post some pics. Or better yet I'm coming down there to eat some! :biggrin1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a smoker that is made out of a 275 gal tank. It is reverse flow so the cook chamber is a little smaller, but my firebox is 28" x 28" x 28" so I would agree you need a much larger firebox.

What is the diameter of those smoke stacks? That seems like a lot of exhaust volume. You want to make sure the size of the firebox and smoke stacks are proportionate to each other and the size of your cook chamber so you get a good draft without losing too much heat. Check this out for help: http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

As far as Thermometers, the Tel-Tru smoker thermometers are awesome and extremely accurate for a bi-metal thermometer. http://www.teltru.com/s-141-anodized-aluminum-dial.aspx

Edit: Just saw the last two posts. Guess I should have read that first :doh: It would definitely work well as-is for a hog cooker as aawa described. If you want to modify it into a sweet reverse flow pit, you would just have to remove that end stack, seal up the end and open that duct up on that side, plus build a larger firebox. Either way it is a nice piece to have! If you cook a whole hog on that thing you gotta post some pics. Or better yet I'm coming down there to eat some! :biggrin1:

Thanks for the tips! I don't know if I am at the level to do a hog yet. :confused: I just want to get this going to see how some spares and chicken come out. Once I master those then I'll try a hog.

Thanks for the tips! I don't know if I am at the level to do a hog yet. :confused: I just want to get this going to see how some spares and chicken come out. Once I master those then I'll try a hog.

You can do spares and chicken on it. The cooker is large enough that you can cook on indirect heat with coals in the cooking chamber.

That is a setup i've never come across before but if it works, it works. I'd think about opening up that "duct" to allow smoke to get into the cooking chamber. You could do a reverse flow or for simplicity's sake, drill holes in the duct and there you go. Granted you'd need a fair amount of holes if you used a 1/2" bit or if you had a larger one it'd go quicker. I'd probably just drill the holes and see how she runs then adjust as necessary.

I really don't think you'll have trouble keeping it up to temp even with a small firebox. I have a 24x24x24 firebox on mine and the size of the fire i have going will fit inside your firebox no problem. I'd suggest a grate on the bottom to let air get underneith it though.

As for thermometers, I've had tel-tru's on mine for about 8 years and they still function just fine.

That is a setup i've never come across before but if it works, it works. I'd think about opening up that "duct" to allow smoke to get into the cooking chamber. You could do a reverse flow or for simplicity's sake, drill holes in the duct and there you go. Granted you'd need a fair amount of holes if you used a 1/2" bit or if you had a larger one it'd go quicker. I'd probably just drill the holes and see how she runs then adjust as necessary.

I really don't think you'll have trouble keeping it up to temp even with a small firebox. I have a 24x24x24 firebox on mine and the size of the fire i have going will fit inside your firebox no problem. I'd suggest a grate on the bottom to let air get underneith it though.

As for thermometers, I've had tel-tru's on mine for about 8 years and they still function just fine.

Thanks Zak. The "holes" idea sounds good. I think I am leaning more towards opening the duct. It will be very few times that I smoke something for more than 6 hours so I don't know if enlarging the firebox is worth it anyway.

I do have a question, when you say adding a grate on the bottom do you mean to add "lips" or shelves to put a grate on the bottom of the firebox right about the dampers?

Not so much lips but an actual grate that'll keep the fire off the bottom of the firebox so air can get under the fire. At or above intake level would be ideal but even if it's lower it wont be the end of the world. This is inside my firebox to give you an idea.
fireboxinterior_zps9a7755a6.jpg

Ok, I see what you mean. The only problem I would have is removing ash really but it's still worth a shot.

Back