MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Default Whole Hog where to buy

Does anyone on the site know where to buy whole hogs in the Tuscaloosa or Birmingham Alabama area. Come on don't be shy your out there somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Tiger fan
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Whole hog

Why not wait until the Fall and cook a whole Razorback !

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger fan View Post
Why not wait until the Fall and cook a whole Razorback !

LOL!!!!!!! I like that

Old 05-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Roll tide ! I would look up your local butcher shop and get them to order one for you.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Rubb'n BBQ View Post
Roll tide ! I would look up your local butcher shop and get them to order one for you.
thanks the said thing is we really do not have a true meat market in Tuscaloosa. If you do get them from a butcher are they usually froze???

Old 05-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Are there any ethnic markets in the area? Hispanic or Asian markets are sometimes the best places to look and often have the best prices. Is there a livestock sales barn near you? If so talk to them, tell them what you want, they may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Right in your backyard:

http://www.snowsbendfarm.com/

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
TRS
On the road to being a farker

Go to any Publix in Tuscaloosa or Birmingham and tell the meat mgr you want to order a whole pig. They are dressed and come in frozen. They should be able to get you any sizes from 35-70lbs. Not sure of the current price though.
They can order them 3 days a week on their frozen truck.
They are availalble all year long. If you have any problems ordering one at the store, let me know.
Let's just say I have connections

Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

You can also check out the local high school's FFA program or a 4H program. We always have extra animals that we raise without hormones or antibiotics. They will also be able to put you in touch with a local butchet.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS View Post
Go to any Publix in Tuscaloosa or Birmingham and tell the meat mgr you want to order a whole pig. They are dressed and come in frozen. They should be able to get you any sizes from 35-70lbs. Not sure of the current price though.
They can order them 3 days a week on their frozen truck.
They are availalble all year long. If you have any problems ordering one at the store, let me know.
Let's just say I have connections
You have no idea how much I have started to appreciate Publix. I didn't realize how awesome their meat departments are and how good the prices are.

They get fresh beef heart and all kinds of different cuts that you can't get anywhere else and it's priced awesome and EXTREMELY fresh. I love it. I've actually almost stopped buying meat from Whole Foods which was my go to because it is such good meat. The Asian market is the only other place I've been getting stuff from, and that's just pork products.

And sorry I can't help with the whole hog! We get them in the fall but they are still oinking when they get dropped off at the house. Not for long after though.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I'm fattening up a couple for cookouts this summer. I'd share if you lived closer!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I'm fattening up a couple for cookouts this summer. I'd share if you lived closer!
Thanks Jen and I know you would

morgaj1 man I appreciate the link and you are right I can just about hit em with a rock, well maybe have to have a slingshot a big un but it is close

Thanks for all the replies there is a Publix close by too never new I could get a hog from them. You all have over achieved and I thank you all