MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Mojo Cherry Bricks Review w/pron

When I first joined this site a couple of months ago I was searching the different areas of the forum and I stumbled across a thread offering Mojo cherry bricks to try for free ~ and in return I was asked to write a review. So a couple of weeks go by and I had totally forgot about it when I recieved a blank box with two bricks in it....I honestly didn't know what they were. I called the number on the box and left a message asking what they were and why I recieved the package. I got a PM here from 'smokenit' (I think) who reminded me.
Doh!

I recently built a UDS and thought I'd give it a try. Loaded the brick in the middle of the charcoal and fired it up. In all fairness, I am new to cooking with my UDS, so I may not have gotten the best results. The temps have been all over the place and my subsequent cooks have been challenging and have not produced the flavors I've been hoping for. So YMMV.... I will use the other brick on my stick burner for a better comparison.

I did spare ribs. My temps ranged from 250-300. Cooked for five hours. Rubbed and placed bone side down. Turned twice. Lightly sauced. I burned up about 90% of the brick. Overall, I was disappointed with the lack of smokey flavor. No smoke ring either. But I have had the same results on my UDS using wood chunks, so it may be me more than the bricks.

My teen age daughters devoured them and thought they were great! That speak volumes because these girls would rather eat a salad than pig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brick.jpg (4.0 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg loaded.jpg (2.0 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg done.jpg (6.1 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg sliced.jpg (48.0 KB, 312 views)
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Do you know that if you're around the pit a lot while you're smoking it inhibits your ability to taste the smoke in your meat. I've had this problem. Showering and changing your clothes before eating helps.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

^^^That is an excellent point. My ability to detect smoke flavor is pretty much erased after a day of cooking. I usually can only taste it when re-heating leftovers.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I burn Mojobricks Cherry in my stickburner. No problem with the smoke ring for me.

[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
Do you know that if you're around the pit a lot while you're smoking it inhibits your ability to taste the smoke in your meat. I've had this problem. Showering and changing your clothes before eating helps.
I don't think that is the problem here. I'm used to smoking at a much lower temp than I have been with and the UDS. I'm gonna try again with the other brick on my stick burner and see how it turns out. I'll be sure to post up.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post
I burn Mojobricks Cherry in my stickburner. No problem with the smoke ring for me.
How do you place the brick(s)?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Funky D
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Curious about this too. The box on my stick burner is an inferno... I can't imagine the bricks lasting too long.

D
Funky D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

doesn't smoke ring only form up to 140* meat temp? i've recently gotten a kamado, and haven't been getting the smoke ring i'm accustomed to with my stick burner. doing some research on the BGE forum has led me to believe that perhaps the meat comes up to temp a bit faster/differently, and that using a colder piece of meat will help get the best smoke ring results.

now, i haven't tried anything i've posted, so i don't know, and i'm no expert, but next cook i do will be meat directly out of the fridge, and maybe cook at a lower temp early on.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I've got an insulated stickburner, so my wood consumption is fairly low to maintain 265. I burn a couple cherry bricks and they last about 1.25-1.5 hours, then there are hot coals left that I set the next bricks on top of. I initially start my fire with lump and wood splits until the pit is up to temp, then burn the mojobricks. If you require a fairly large fire to keep the temp up, then you will probably burn through them quicker than I do. I normally set them with the thinner long side down, with 1/2 of the brick in the hot coals to ignite them.
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG

Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
When I first joined this site a couple of months ago I was searching the different areas of the forum and I stumbled across a thread offering Mojo cherry bricks to try for free ~ and in return I was asked to write a review. So a couple of weeks go by and I had totally forgot about it when I recieved a blank box with two bricks in it....I honestly didn't know what they were. I called the number on the box and left a message asking what they were and why I recieved the package. I got a PM here from 'smokenit' (I think) who reminded me.
Doh!

I recently built a UDS and thought I'd give it a try. Loaded the brick in the middle of the charcoal and fired it up. In all fairness, I am new to cooking with my UDS, so I may not have gotten the best results. The temps have been all over the place and my subsequent cooks have been challenging and have not produced the flavors I've been hoping for. So YMMV.... I will use the other brick on my stick burner for a better comparison.

I did spare ribs. My temps ranged from 250-300. Cooked for five hours. Rubbed and placed bone side down. Turned twice. Lightly sauced. I burned up about 90% of the brick. Overall, I was disappointed with the lack of smokey flavor. No smoke ring either. But I have had the same results on my UDS using wood chunks, so it may be me more than the bricks.
Lol. Maybe he shoulda sent some directions with it.
The bricks you have are for stickburners.
This product is not made to be used as fuel but as to add smoke and flavor.
Lighting the brick would not give you very good heat and from the looks not very clean smoke either.

Next time cut your brick into cubes for the UDS.

I LOVE MojoBricks!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Lol. Maybe he shoulda sent some directions with it.
The bricks you have are for stickburners.
This product is not made to be used as fuel but as to add smoke and flavor.
Lighting the brick would not give you very good heat and from the looks not very clean smoke either.

Next time cut your brick into cubes for the UDS.

I LOVE MojoBricks!
Interesting. Now I don't know if I should try again on the UDS or go to the stick burner...or if one brick is enough.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Interesting. Now I don't know if I should try again on the UDS or go to the stick burner...or if one brick is enough.
1 brick is not enough for the stickburner. Mojobricks burn exceptionally clean and can be used as a fuel source in a stickburner, as I regularly use them for. With only 1 left, you should cut it into smaller cubes and use them in your UDS or WSM with your charcoal. Best results will be using a bandsaw to cut them. Look at the mojobricks.com website and you'll see the size you should cut them down to. If you have any questions, email Fred Grosse through that website and he'll help you out.
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG

Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Definitely cut them down for smaller units my bad if i didn't tell you when we spoke.I get some serious smoke rings using these in Backwoods.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Your doing reviews of products and you don't have your equipment under control?
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue22 View Post
Your doing reviews of products and you don't have your equipment under control?
Thats a fair statement. I was honest about it, yet I felt obliged to write review regarding the product, as I said I would.

If anything maybe I helped Mojo learn that they can't just send their product to some knuckhead on the internet without including instruction (paying or not).