MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!
Default What was your first grill or smoker?

What was your first grill or smoker? How did you get it? What did you first cook on it? Did it come out perfect or did it come out burnt crispy or did it come out with the fire going out and raw?

My first grill I got it for my birthday in June and have been hooked ever since. It is a Weber One Touch Silver 18.5" grill First thing I cooked was chicken legs with a dry rub I created on my own. No Idea what I was doing but it has now become a staple in everything I cook from homemade bbq sauce to chicken pork ribs and beef. The chicken legs came out perfect at 3am and I was totally thrilled to death with my new weber. I rarely don't cook on it at least once a day. I was given my grill by my wife and her parents for my birthday. I have now acquired a second used version of my grill to make it so I have more room. I am now a weber kettle user for life. I even have smoked brisket and pork shoulder on my kettle. Nothing like a 12 and 16 hour all night long haul cook to really enjoy a weekend. So yeah tell us about your first grill.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

I learned on a brinkman smoker without the interweb's help. Trial and error taught me how to drive it.
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Armadillo
On the road to being a farker

My first was a brinkman smoker I did leg quarters they came out great then I moved to a vertical smoker had it 10 years then the bug hit me and I built my own trailer smoker and used parts from the vertical smoker for a warming oven than the wife told me I could smoke more if I didn't have such a big smoker so I built my USD and I'm always looking at how I can make my next one

Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Weber Kettle that my father gave me because he never used it

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

My first Grill was a 16" truck split rim with a piece of expanded metal on top,cooked many a steak burger and dogs on it. My first Smoker was a Tx Hibachi and it served as a grill too you name it it probably got cooked on it. The X bought me an Old Smokey like 26 yrs ago so I guess you could say it was my first store bought cooker.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

First grill that was my own, Weber Genesis Gold C. First cook, steak. It served me well, but I stopped using it about 4 years ago after I had my OTG for over a year. Sold it last year and it's getting love again from one of my friends. He couldn't be happier with it.

First smoker, ECB. First cook, ribs. I only did about two or three cooks on it over the course of a few years (I hated cooking on it) and then when I got my OKJ, all hell broke loose and I've been addicted ever since.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I've had my Char-Griller Smokin' Pro for 11 years now and have cooked on her exclusively till this past February when I got my WSM. She has taught me the finer points of fire management and I still use her when I have the time to "feed" her.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

One of those cheap kinda square kettles I was 12 or so. Cooked a lot of pork chops from the local gas station/market ran into rats far bigger than my pork chops!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

First smoker was my Bradley digital. First cook was pork butt. Of Corse it turned out great it was like cooking in an oven. I used it for a few months and decided I needed something more challenging .... Well I got what I asked for, lol first ribs I cooked on it were beautiful but when my daughter was eating them it sounded like she was eating corn on the cob... Lol ...poor thing kept telling me they were great. Same results went on for almost a month at which time I realized the gauges n the smoker were not accurate to grate level... 50 degrees hotter on gauge than cooking area... Been smokin good since I figured out the problem...

Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
JPar
Found some matches.

First grill was a Weber kettle, about 30 years ago. Cooked a lot of burgers, steaks, chops, brats, and dogs on it. As far as I can remember, they all turned out pretty good.
First smoker is a WSM, bought just last month. My first cook on that was St. Louis spares. I didn't start with enough charcoal, and had to finish them in the oven. They still turned out pretty good though.
JPar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

ECB as a teenager getting drunk and cranking out smoked salmon from the Lake Michigan spawning run. That fish was so salty and covered in copious amounts of billowy white smoke it would have probably kept on a shelf for months. Instead we ate it all to keep us thirsty for cheap beer.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

I killed many a cow and pig and forced my young kids to endure some bad hamburgers and hot dogs. I went through about 13 different gas/coal grills over 20 years.

Then I remembered what my Dad said (God rest his soul). "It's the section between the rod handle and the boat seat that counts boy!" Started to get it together at that point with BBQ and life in general.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
caseydog

My first grill was a cheap gasser. I ruined a lot of meat on it.

My first REAL grill was my 1995 redhead 22.5 Weber kettle. I still have it, and in all that time, I don't recall ruining any meat on it. Some cooks are better than others, but they have all been good enough to eat.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
IamMadMan

My first grill was a red brick charcoal grill that came with the property purchased in 1968, it was big, and a pain to clean out. Chicken was my first item cooked on it, nothing fancy, just cooked chicken.

My first smoke was a Brinkman Smoke-n-Pit Professional purchased in 1995. I tried ribs in it but was not happy with the results. It didn't get a lot of use after that as I would use a friends Spicewine smoker or his Southern Pride smoker when I wanted to smoke with great results. In 1998 I made some modifications to the Brinkman to extend the burn time and make the cooking chamber temperature more consistent.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
spyre
On the road to being a farker

First grill was a square charcoal of some brand I can no longer remember. Worked pretty well.

First smoker was a homemade clay pots with a hot plate in side pretty similar to the one Alton Brown made. First thing was a pork butt that came out amazing and got me hooked. Turned out a ton of butts and tri-tips and turkey on that thing. It was really hard to find a hot plate that would get to the temps that I really wanted. 10lb butts taking 17 hours was getting old fast. Kamado Joe saved my life!
spyre is offline   Reply With Quote