• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

foiling question

G

GWags

Ribs - meat or bone down??? Is there a preference?:-o

TIA

GWAGS

Bone down... when the fat cooks out, it'll baste the meat.

That makes sense to me. Is there any reason to put the foil ingredients in the foil under the ribs then as opposed to directly on the rib meat only? It seems with the curve of the bone not much touches the bottom anyways.

TIA

GWags

Are we talking about in the foil? Meat down. That way the meat is in the stuff I put in the foil to flavor it. Normally brown sugar, honey and a little apple juice.

That makes sense to me. Is there any reason to put the foil ingredients in the foil under the ribs then as opposed to directly on the rib meat only? It seems with the curve of the bone not much touches the bottom anyways.

TIA

GWags

Remove the membrane, wash & pat dry. Apply your rub generously, and refrigerate for at least an hour... max overnight.

Many here use the 3-2-1 method. 3 hrs cook... remove & foil & cook for 2 hours. Remove foil & cook 1 last hour.

Many do not use foil.

No need to put any spices on the foil.

Are we talking about in the foil? Meat down. That way the meat is in the stuff I put in the foil to flavor it. Normally brown sugar, honey and a little apple juice.

Got that bone down so the fat bastes tip from Gordon Ramsey. But, there are many ways that will produce great ribs.

TIA

GWags

OH... rub both sides of the ribs.

Got that bone down so the fat bastes tip from Gordon Ramsey. But, there are many ways that will produce great ribs.

I cook bone down before and after the foil, but not in.

BTW, I don't always foil. I like to change it up once in a while :)

Let me clarify... when doing the 3-2-1 method, I'm asking about the middle time period. Once I foil, is there a preference in putting the ribs bone up or down?

TIA

As I said above, meat down in the good juices in the foil.

Thank you, I plan to to try a "correct" foiled method and no foil method this weekend during the same smoke for comparison. Ive foiled but have done bone down and questioned myself on that. :doh:

Absolutely.

I don't always foil either.

I have done ribs 4 times so far - 2 times foiled, with varying times and 2 times no foil, but not at the same time. This time will be with 3 lb spares and I want to have a better idea of how they compare so Im doing both methods for this smoke. Based on limited experience I will foil for 75 minutes at 240ish.

Ive been farking with different rubs and foil ingredients before as well making it more fun as well. This is an attempt at a head to head comparison.

I have done ribs 4 times so far - 2 times foiled, with varying times and 2 times no foil, but not at the same time. This time will be with 3 lb spares and I want to have a better idea of how they compare so Im doing both methods for this smoke. Based on limited experience I will foil for 75 minutes at 240ish.

Ive been farking with different rubs and foil ingredients before as well making it more fun as well. This is an attempt at a head to head comparison.

Here's Harry Soo's recipe for "Slap Yo Daddy All Purpose Rub"

SYD All Purpose Rub (makes about 1 cup)

4 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp White granulated sugar
2 tbsp Brown sugar
2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 tbsp Black pepper
½ TSP Cayenne pepper (use sparingly or not at all!)

I made up a batch, it's pretty good.

Thank you for the recipe - logged and saved. This run will be with a local farks rub, Plowboys Yardbird as I just got done rubbing. :thumb:

I'll add my $.02, not for any good reason, except that I like the ribs I crank out.

I run at 225 degrees. Rub with Mike Mills' Magic Dust (similar to Harry Soo's recipe in ingredients). Strait 3-2-1. Bone side down at each step.

In the foil, I do put down some brown sugar/honey/butter first. Then set ribs (bone side down) on top. Then cover ribs with brown sugar/honey/butter. Before I seal it up, I add about 1oz. of apple juice for some steam. Wrap it up tight and mold it to the bottom of the ribs so it keeps the mix in contact.

When you unwrap it after 2 hours you gotta do 2 things. First, check how done the ribs are (bend test). This is where I get an idea if the ribs can take another hour, or if I should get ready to hit em with some heat to just finish em. Second, you wanna catch that juice that comes outta the foil. Let it stand, and remove the fat that surfaces. It has a great flavor that you'll wanna add to everything. It really does wonders for beans. Secretly, it is a big ingredient that I use in bbq sauces. Gives everything a depth of flavor you cant re-create.

For the last hour, I just let the ribs ride. The last 15-30 minutes would be a good time to add sauce/glaze, but you need to adjust the time based on the amount of sugar and the heat of your cooker.

Ok, my $.02

So we have both sides of the bones going on here .... those bone side down and those meat side down in the foil. You boys just doubled my work load! I was hoping to narrow down my rib cooking method by the end of the month .... throw that chit out the window, lots a work/fun ahead! I asked and I received! Again thank you for taking the time to help me out.

GWags

Back