MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #6001
moda253
On the road to being a farker

No offense man but I spent about 3 minutes digging just to see how long it would take and have located 10 places I could go to get barrels in WV. Now granted I'm not sure how close any of these places are to where you live but still..... One craigslist add even states "Great for building UDS smokers".

Can't make it up.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...748440981.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by pAT_13 View Post
I don’t have the time to read all 400 pages of post and the search turns up to many results to help, so I will just ask…

I am looking for an unlined 55G drum with lid near Harpers Ferry, WV (25425). I have found only lined so far and they are about 1.5 hr away.
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #6002
Doc Robinson
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
What do drums cost in your area that this risk would be worth it? God knows what toxins a paint will put off. I know I felt like crap after breathing some of the smoke during my burnout. I would wait and find another drum.
I don't consider it to be a risk.
Doc Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #6003
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

Post number 6000 has been made, thanks to moda253 who was responding to someone huffing the paint fumes from his burnout.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #6004
mgp03051
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceKWHP View Post
more pics and details about the hinges please!
the hindges are from a Uniflame cheepo grill ffromWalmart as well as the lids they just bolted right on just had to drill new holes for the hinge pins and rework the lid rim alittle
mgp03051 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #6005
mgp03051
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novass View Post
With that much capacity you going to do comps.
Acctually these pics were taken at our fisrt comp this w/e we had 18 lbs of brisket, 2 9lbs butt, 4 racks of spares and 26 chicken thighs all at one time for a bit. Chack the Comp forum to see what they turned out "frist comp under my belt" thread .
mgp03051 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #6006
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moda253 View Post
No offense man but I spent about 3 minutes digging just to see how long it would take and have located 10 places I could go to get barrels in WV. Now granted I'm not sure how close any of these places are to where you live but still..... One craigslist add even states "Great for building UDS smokers".

Can't make it up.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...748440981.html

I think he was specifically looking for "unlined" drums, as his post originally stated. I had the same problem......lots of lined drums around.....very few unlined drums.

A nice alternative is a used oil drum.........they are unlined, and are relatively easy to cleanup. A raging inferno burnout is not needed.....just a good power-wash and do a couple test burns with your charcoal and wood.....maybe some light sanding if you are paranoid. Plus, even if there is a little oil left in the nooks and crannies, it is not all that harmful. Look at a couple MSDS reports on motor oil. It's not toxic in small quantities.
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #6007
moda253

First of all I'd like to thank my parents for getting it on way back when. I'd also like to thank the incredibly slow processing power of my SQL server that takes far too long to process my scripts allowing me to read while it's hamster wheel powered processor squeaks out the data. In addition to all of that I'd like to thank my own obsessive compulsive nature of which I have no control over. It, along with all the people in this thread keep me coming back to read day after day, hour after hour, minute after minute as I tirelessly hit the refresh button again and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
Post number 6000 has been made, thanks to moda253 who was responding to someone huffing the paint fumes from his burnout.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #6008
moda253

Right, but my point is if he would spend the minimal time actually looking he would probably find one quickly. They have some that were used to hold olive oil the link says. those might not be lines. Call them, Ask them.

I found a bunch of links that he could give a call too. I'd be glad to help him out on the research. In fact what I think we should do is start compiling a phone directory and site listing in a thread here that lists the known places to look for drums about the country. That would be helpful I'd bet.

I dunno I was just poking at him though because his post was a bit of the "I don't really want to read or do much of the legwork myself but..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindave74 View Post
I think he was specifically looking for "unlined" drums, as his post originally stated. I had the same problem......lots of lined drums around.....very few unlined drums.

A nice alternative is a used oil drum.........they are unlined, and are relatively easy to cleanup. A raging inferno burnout is not needed.....just a good power-wash and do a couple test burns with your charcoal and wood.....maybe some light sanding if you are paranoid. Plus, even if there is a little oil left in the nooks and crannies, it is not all that harmful. Look at a couple MSDS reports on motor oil. It's not toxic in small quantities.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #6009
moda253

edited for dumb idea.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #6010
N8man
Babbling Farker

Default Updated Divided Circle Version2

I have updated the template I used in construction of my DrumPit and would like to share it with y'all...It's in PDF Format...I found it handy to have and use....

divided circle.pdf

The File, once downloaded should look like this....
divided_circle_v2lowres.jpg

Full Scale measures 25"x25"
If you own a Postscript Printer you can tile print it at 100% scale and tape the pages
together, if not, you can take the file to a Print Service Bureau that has Large Format Capability
and have it printed and laminated.

This link shows how I used the template for layout of the holes to drill...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...3&postcount=62

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!

Last edited by N8man; 05-25-2010 at 04:45 PM..
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 AM   #6011
altered states
Found some matches.

Default Done!!!

Read all 6000+ posts in this farkin' thread. Lots of good info - now to try out the UDS - hopefully this weekend.
altered states is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #6012
dgassaway
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by altered states View Post
Read all 6000+ posts in this farkin' thread. Lots of good info - now to try out the UDS - hopefully this weekend.

What? You read the whole farkin thing?

Didn'tyou read the directions on page 1 that said "just read page 7, 283, 1145 and 4128"?

Good luck on your build.
1 Weber 22.5 with Rib-O-Lator & [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Navy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermopen[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
____________[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2][COLOR=midnightblue][FONT=Verdana]

PNWBA Board Member | CBJ #200356[/FONT]
Smokin' HOT Grillfriends | Wellseasoned & The CanadaQ Crew BBQ Team
Event Organizer: Big Red Barn Burner | Cloverdale Cowboy Cook-off | BBQ on the By Pass[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
dgassaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #6013
otis
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Robinson View Post
Same here. I sanded it down a bit with a hand sander and a wire brush attached to a drill. I didn't get all of it. I decided, "**** it...if it ain't burning off and it ain't sanding off...it ain't cooking off." Besides, after a few cooks, it resides under a thick coating of seasoning. There are quite a few other things in my life that would kill me before some liner on my brisket.
Thank you Doc Robinson!! I've felt like a freak for saying the same thing. I have yet to see **anything** other than the same "info" repeated redundantly numerous times quite frequently with **nothing** to back it up other than "somebody once said somewhere that..."

I'll continue to look both ways before I cross the street and, like you, make decisions based on reputable info available to me.

Now, if somebody would care to post a link to some kind of data showing that this stuff is harmful when put to use in the way we use it, at the temperature range we deal with, I will willingly go along with all the Chicken Littles and proudly announce that the sky is, indeed, falling.
otis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #6014
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Gonna do my first cook tomorrow. I'm going to listen to what the experts say on here and start out easy with a couple fatties and some chicken legs. Probably partake in a beverage or 2 or 6.
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #6015
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

@Otis- I agree with you but the only exception I have is over the years my barrel or one of my friends got away on us and ran way high in temp. I would expect that if the heat was high enough to discolor the outside paint then it was pretty hot on the inside. If we didn't have the barrel clean to start with then I would be pretty concerned about the groceries. Other than that situation, I think you are quite right in feeling its a non issue. I run a couple skids of lump through my smokers each year and it doesn't happen often but it can.
Bottom line- build it to specs you can live with 'cause it IS your barrel.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker