Franks red hot butt, winner winner pork dinner!!!

Rubmybutt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well I said I was goin to do this and here's how it went. I took a 1/4 cup of everything, Franks molasses brown sugar and Gene-Bobs BBQ sauce, stuff was so thick I could hardly get it through the needle but I wanted it to stay in the meat, not run out. I'm guessin it was about a 6 lbs butt, the smallest of four. My thought was if this butt goes south I won't have as much to hack down.:becky: Of course some of it leaked out so I just kind of used it like mustard and wiped the whole butt with the marinade and then applied the rub. Here's what I used.
Franksredhot6-5-11001.jpg

And here's all four headed to the needle, the other three were injected with a mix of apple juice and brown sugar.
Franksredhot6-5-11002.jpg

I got them all shot up and two got SM Pecan and two got Spicy Apple. Here's what the Franks butt looked like before rub.
Franksredhot6-5-11003.jpg

Here they just hit the smoke.
Franksredhot6-5-11004.jpg

This is 5.5 hours later.
Franksredhot6-5-11005.jpg

This at 10:30 last nite and I had had it so at 186 degrees I double wrapped them in foil and put them in a warm cooler for the nite.
Franksredhot6-5-11008.jpg

I tryed a little this am and just thought about the 200 degree thing so in the oven at 225, when I got home from work this is what I was rewarded with.
Franksredhot6-5-11009.jpg

It was as tender as I had hoped for, the taste was just right for us, you know it's there and it hangs around for a few minutes afterwards. By using the marinade on the outside the bark was outstanding! If you like meat with a kick you might want to give this a try. The vinegar didn't seem to bother it at all and a topping of bleu cheese in a sami will work great! Just wanted to show you how it went this weekend, thanks for looking!!!:thumb:

Mark

Sounds like you were flirting with the long side of food saftey.
What was the temp when you opened them up the next morning?
Ed

That looks awesome. That's an interesting idea, I love Franks and may have to try it.

That looks awesome. That's an interesting idea, I love Franks and may have to try it.

Ive used Franks to inject almost every thing you can BBQ and loved it.

What Rubmybutt did with the pork butt was outstanding.

I'll be trying this tonight. The OP mentions later in the post about vinegar. I don't see any vinegar in the stuff he was using. Where did it come in? Finishing sauce? Dumb question?

I'll be trying this tonight. The OP mentions later in the post about vinegar. I don't see any vinegar in the stuff he was using. Where did it come in? Finishing sauce? Dumb question?

I think he was talking about the vinegar in the Franks sauce or he used some vinegar in the mix but forgot to mention it in the ingredient list.

I think 1/4 cup vinegar would be a bit much for an injection.

It's the basis for Frank's Hot Sauce.

Back