How long to cure a Pastrami?

JohnMcD348

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I got a couple of cures and rubs for Fathers Day and one of them was the Steve Raichlen Pastrami seasoning. I've got a corned beef brisket that I plan on using to make it, I'm just not real sure how to go about it.

Should I take it out of the original cryovac and let the regular seasonings get into it first and then use the seasoning?

Should I just throw out the little packet and go straight to the Pastrami seasoning?

Should I cure it for awhile in the saesoning or just rub it on and smoke it?

Also, what wood would you recommend for a good pastrami? Oak, hickory, maple, pecan, combinations with apple, maple, cherry?

Thanks

I've got a HiMtn BBB cure also. I plan on doing both eventually when I find the time.

I got a couple of cures and rubs for Fathers Day and one of them was the Steve Raichlen Pastrami seasoning. I've got a corned beef brisket that I plan on using to make it, I'm just not real sure how to go about it.

Should I take it out of the original cryovac and let the regular seasonings get into it first and then use the seasoning?

Should I just throw out the little packet and go straight to the Pastrami seasoning?

Also, what wood would you recommend for a good pastrami? Oak, hickory, maple, pecan, combinations with apple, maple, cherry?

Thanks

I've got a HiMtn BBB cure also. I plan on doing both eventually when I find the time.

I'm not an expert at this, but I believe "corned" means it's already cured. I would think that if you just put the other seasonings on and let it set overnight or even a couple of days.

Thanks

Unwrapped the corned beef. Soak it in cold water for a minimum of two hours, changing the water every 30 minutes. This will remove the salt.

Rub your seasoning on it and then smoke it. I don't use the little packet. 225 degrees until internal temp is somewhere around 145 degrees. Some like it closer to 160.

Traditional pastrami is smoked with hickory. I prefer a mixture of apple and hickory (75% apple, 25% hickory.)

Cool the pastrami and slice.

I tried to do Pastrami from a beef brislket. It did not turn out too good- very salty. Will try t do it again though

Corned beef has already been cured so all you need to do is use equal parts corriander and pepper and maybe a little turbinado as a rub and take it to 180 at 250. Let it cool down and slice and enjoy.

I soak the corned beef brisket for a couple of days changing the water at least 4 times a day. Then I put the spices from the little packet in my pepper grinder and make them part of the rub.

Virtual bullet has some good stuff on this

So does the BBQ Brethren. :-D

From the KCQuer Road Map...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=596482&postcount=58

As the guys said, JT, if you are starting with a store bought corned beef brisket the curing part is done. You would only cure the meat if it was a fresh brisket. With a store bought corned beef brisket soaking it in clear water is essential to get rid of some of the salt. Also, use a rub with no salt (or only a little salt). I've done this many times and I have settled on a two day soak as Neil suggested.

Throw in some raw sliced potatoes to the water as you soak it, this will help pull the salt out.

I make most of mine from corned beef too, and I like to take it to 165 on the smoker, then I put it on a rack in a pan, over water to the bottom of the rack, lid it with foil and steam it for 3 - 4 hours, this helps to tenderize the pastrami.

I soak the corned beef brisket for a couple of days changing the water at least 4 times a day. Then I put the spices from the little packet in my pepper grinder and make them part of the rub.

Excellent advice here... corned beef needs days of soaking to extract all the salt. Traditionally you boil the salt out

Back