Blue Springs Blaze-off (MO) Sept 8-9 (Merged)

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
HEADS UP! Blue Springs, MO is filling up!

Just heard that as of today, there are only ten spaces left if you want to cook Blue Springs and haven't paid yet! I understand that last year there was a 20 team waiting list. Get 'em while they're left if you haven't already!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.......Bass Pro will catch part of what doesn't get in at Blue Springs.

Someday, I will cook Blue Springs....it was a visit there that got me started cooking, buying the 'dera, and visiting this site.

Solidkick said:
Thanks for the info.......Bass Pro will catch part of what doesn't get in at Blue Springs.

Someday, I will cook Blue Springs....it was a visit there that got me started cooking, buying the 'dera, and visiting this site.

Hey Gary, just thinking (and maybe it's not a good idea)... what if Blue Springs was notified by Bass Pro about their contest and contact info , then when they fill up, ask Blue springs if they'll point out to teams that there's a contest in Columbia the same day as an alternative to Blue Springs. Might not hurt as some folks might not keep up with the KCBS site like we all do! :wink: Maybe Bass Pro even offers to draft a letter and send it up to Blue springs with some stamped envelopes to mail out to anyone who sends an entry to BS after it's full. Just my marketing brain kicking in... may not be feasible.:lol:

Besides Big Creek, I know Wayne and Bob are cooking this one. Anyone else?

And due to being too late to get in on DeSoto, ruling out the drive to Hermann and refusing to cook the open at the Royal, it appears Blue Springs MAY be it for us this year unless an idea I had this afternoon involving Arthur, IL works out.:wink: Wasn't exactly the way I envisioned this season ending...

Jeff_in_KC said:
Oops! sorry! Forgot we had something on this contest already,,,
Not a problem--job security for us :lol:

Y'all have a great time and cook even better.

TIM

Jeff_in_KC said:
Besides Big Creek, I know Wayne and Bob are cooking this one. Anyone else?

And due to being too late to get in on DeSoto, ruling out the drive to Hermann and refusing to cook the open at the Royal, it appears Blue Springs MAY be it for us this year unless an idea I had this afternoon involving Arthur, IL works out.:wink: Wasn't exactly the way I envisioned this season ending...
Ruling out the drive to Hermann?? Hell gas is 50 cents a gallon cheaper now than in July!! Get your butt entered!

Sloppy's crew will be there. Can't do Hermann either, have too much invested in the Cup race that same weekend.

Jeff, I will be the pit biotch! Need some Bud though!!!! On second thought, I wll be there with my kids. THE KIDS Q GRAND CHAMP. AND 2ND PLACE. I may strap their ribbons around their necks!

Jeff_in_KC said:
We're considering a plan for Arthur, IL instead. We'll see!

Good luck to wherever you go...Why did you say that you were refusing to cook the AR open? You guys are a good team you should take the chance and cook the royal. From what I have seen you guys do pretty good.

Greatgrills said:
Good luck to wherever you go...Why did you say that you were refusing to cook the AR open? You guys are a good team you should take the chance and cook the royal. From what I have seen you guys do pretty good.

Thank you Mark! Coming from you, I take that as a huge compliment!

The reason we decided against it was MAINLY that I decided I like smaller comps a lot better (40-60 team range). I'm not good with crowds at all. But we really were less than thrilled with our first experience there last year. If we had not been over on the dark side, I believe things would have been better. You probably know what goes on over behind the Royal building out by the tracks... huge parties, drunks taking a whiz wherever they felt the urge, numerous fights, people walking in and swiping your food. I went to DeSoto two weeks later and LOVED it. While the GAB had really good service to the teams, I didn't enjoy myself as much there as I did Platte City, Sedalia and Cameron.

I had a guy walk up and take the lid off of one of my cookers at about 2 am at the Royal last year. He realized the error in his ways and replaced it. Still, in my opinion the Royal is not even close to being as bad as Lenexa as far as the parties. You can't even move on Friday nights and would be better off walking to a gas station to take a leak. I will never set foot in that place again, but there is just something about the American Royal...

anyone interested in unsanctioned contests in the midwest - could also consider Greeley, KS that weekend. It is a fundrasier for childrens charities in the county. Fun contest.

If we had not been over on the dark side, I believe things would have been better.

Did you request to be on the other side? The AR is not all that bad. Although we have never had to cook on the dark side we have gone over there and oh my!!!! If you don't find a place to compete at you are more then welcome to come and hang out with us. Just let us know...

Greatgrills said:
If we had not been over on the dark side, I believe things would have been better.

Did you request to be on the other side? The AR is not all that bad. Although we have never had to cook on the dark side we have gone over there and oh my!!!! If you don't find a place to compete at you are more then welcome to come and hang out with us. Just let us know...

We'll be out there, Mark. Not cooking but I have volunteered my services to assist the Meatheads during the open (gotta work during the invitational). We will stop by to say hello.

Honestly, last year was my first Royal and I had no clue. I just turned in my entry with no space number request as I figured being new, I'd get the worst one anyway! LOL! I would know better now!

And the winner is....

Hope I picked out all the Brethren Teams :redface:
If not, holler and I will fix it!

Some "Walkin' goin' on" there!

Congrats to all!!!

TIM
-------------------------------

Chicken:
10) Big Dawgs
09) Pork Busters
08 Grillas
07) Pig Newton
06) Wonderful Walt's Magical BBQ
05) Flower of the Flame
04) Jeanies Got Wood
03) BS Smokers - 174.2856
02) Fat Bastard and Lippy B - 174.8570
01) Big Creek BBQ

Ribs:
10) Mean Deans Smokin' Machine
09) Pork Pullin' Plowboys
08 Hi Tech Smokers
07) KC Que Crew
06) MoKan Meatheads
05) Big Dawgs
04) Pyros
03) Boys of BBQ and Patty - 172.0000
02) We BBQ - 177.1430
01) Fat Bastard and Libby B - 177.1430

Pork:
10) Pork Pullin' Plowboys
09) Juggy's Juicers
08 Bare Bones BBQ Team
07) Mean Deans Smokin' Machine
06) Smokin' Cousins
05) Pitside BBQ? ACCU Plumbing
04) Big Creek BBQ
03) We BBQ - 172.5716
02) Boys Night Out - 173.7144
01) Burnin' Down the Hog - 177.7144

Brisket:
10) Grillas
09) Tom & Josh's Orgasmic Slabs
08 Fishnet BBQ
07) The Burnt End Boys
06) Ornery Brothers BBQ
05) Ribs and Bibs
04) Jeanies Got Wood
03) Boys of BBQ and Patty - 169.1428
02) Juggy's Juicers - 172.0002
01) Pellet Envy - 172.5712

Overall:
10) Boys Night Out
09) BS Smokers
08 Jeanies Got Wood
07) Flower of the Flame
06) Pig Newton
05) Juggy's Juicers
04) Pellet Envy
03) Fat Bastard and Lippy B - 666.2856
02) We BBQ - 667.4286
01) Boys of BBQ and Patty - 671.4280

Way to go Jeff, Wayne and Rod !!!

Jeff - 1st place chicken...nice job... what was your score if you beat a second place 174.85 ?

Vinny, we were SO close to the ultimate goal of 180! We totaled 178.8572 a mere 1.14 points short! Not sure we'll ever be able to top that score on anything! Ended up 12th place overall because our brisket was 37th and ribs 59th! Wow... pretty inconsistent! But a good result! I'm putting 10% of our winnings this weekend into the fund for Jeanne and Zach via PayPal.

Almost forgot... my wife got 1st place in the mild salsa category. My daughter finished 13th out of 16 kids in the 5-10 year old kids Q.... a good opportunity for us to teach after her first place last time. She understood completely and was not upset by it after the initial surprise of not hearing her name called. I'm still proud of her.

Back