MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default All About BRISKET!

BRISKET! Everything you ever wanted to know, ask, and share when it comes to whole packers, points, flats, you name it!
The purpose behind this thread is to eventually create one general thread that any member can refer to and find information about BRISKET! In this thread you can share advice, tips, tricks, techniques, foil no foil, trimming, fat cap up or down, slow and low vs. fast and hot, rest periods, slicing procedures, success stories, failures, non pron posts, pron only posts, comp style, injections, rubs, etc, or to simply ask a quick question that requires a simple answer and not an entire thread about it, or even link to your favorite brisket threads already on this forum. The idea is to keep the thread constantly evolving with information about BRISKET!

Here's a link to the All About RIBS! thread.

The reasoning behind it is to have one main thread that will pop up when conducting a search that will provide a bulk of the GREAT information that is already out there about the topic, but in consolidated form, to new members, lurkers, etc.......kinda like the UDS thread is now. Plus, it will have new and current information as well. I also hope to highlight the great information that is located in Roadmaps, but that most may not know exists, to highlight some great threads that are already out there on the subject, and to share a little on my part.)

I'll start off by sharing the links and member comments in our Roadmap Forum about Brisket which already have some great information to start off with.

Brisket

This thread contains an excellent article I cut and pasted from a newsletter Brother Solidkick was kind enough to send me. Excellent reading.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=Turning

Jun 18, 2004 - 08:14 AM by kcquer

An allup guide to brisket questions.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=102415

This is one of the best brisket threads ever. Dont give up on it. By the time you reach the end of the thread, you will understand, and become one with The Funk.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57130

Beginner Brisket on a Kettle - Offset: A nice compilation of tips and strategies for offset brisket, first time around, on a kettle.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26554

Here's a favorite Brisket thread of mine courtesy of Bigabyte.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...isket+tutorial

And some of my brisket pron. Nowadays, I prefer to cook em a bit faster and hotter and my go to rub is pretty much salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, and cayenne powder. I'm a fat cap down cooker, but started out fat cap up! I figured for the sake of my own sanity, I'd better decide on one method and stick to it, so cap down it is. Unless the fat cap is very thick, I don't trim my briskets at all except for the hard knuckle of fat that's found on packers.
Can't go wrong with brisket on bread, a hint of sauce, and beans and tater salad. A little bit of the green heat adds to the experience as well. Let's not forget Brisket Chili........Dayuum Good!

Okay, now it's your turn!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 08-11-2015 at 09:20 AM..
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
n2dabluebbq
On the road to being a farker

well iguess i can share a chili recipe.... the only thing i do that isn't listed is to smoke my brisket first and use some of the rendered fat for the oil. of course that means no browning the meat. haha

3 pounds beef brisket, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon red pepper
1 small can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 tomato, finely chopped
4 oz. can V8 juice
3/4 cup onion, diced
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon oregano
1 large can tomato sauce
1/2 can beer
1 jalapeno, finely chopped

Directions

Brown the brisket with a little oil. Drain and remove meat. Sauté onion and garlic in the left over oil. Add all the spices and let them pan roast.

Add the beef back to the pot and add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, V8 juice, tomato, jalapeno, and beer.

Cover and simmer for 3 hours. Add more beer if chili gets too dry.

Note: Use Beef Brisket - Do Not Use Ground Beef.
n2dabluebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
BobBrisket

I have some questions regarding competition based soaks/injections/etc for brisket. From what I've gleaned off of many threads regarding this technique in relation to brisket it is meant to add flavor and moisture among other things. I realize it's common practice for comp style cooking. I've never competed, but thought about the possibility of trying it out for my own personal brisket and experimentation so that I can compare the two end products. I've read that there is also a change in flavor. I know what a good beef flavored brisket is, exactly how is the flavor altered? What other changes, advantages, or even disadvantages could I expect to see in comparison to the standard way I prep and smoke briskets currently?

Thanks,

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

I personally only use injections for comp. I cook plain brisket at home. The flavor of an injected brisket is not...natural. It's not a bad flavor but it's not a natural beef tasting flavor. But hey, that's just me. Give it a whirl and tell us how you like it.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
I personally only use injections for comp. I cook plain brisket at home. The flavor is not...natural. It's not a bad flavor but it's not a natural beef tasting flavor. But hey, that's just me. Give it a whirl and tell us how you like it.
I've read many comments like that. Do they make the brisket sweet, salty, bitter? Zilla, in your opinion, why do you think many comp cooks have gotten away from plain? I know a lot has to do with what judges want. Just something that has always intrigued me about comp style cooking.

Thanks
Bob

Old 04-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Some good looking chow BTW Bob thanks for the advice on goat it was wonderful
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I've read many comments like that. Do they make the brisket sweet, salty, bitter? Zilla, in your opinion, why do you think many comp cooks have gotten away from plain? I know a lot has to do with what judges want. Just something that has always intrigued me about comp style cooking.

Thanks
Bob
It's a bit salty to me and it also adds some "enhanced flavor".... Umami? and there is a condensed beef flavor to it as well. As cooks are starting to cook hotter they are needing to use the Phosphates in the injections to gain the edge in moisture retention. It also reduces the margin of error for all. So as the number of cooks in each competition that use moisture/flavor enhancers increases so does the need for you to use them too. The playing field needs to be level to have an opportunity to win. I don't want to throw away my money so I am forced to use them too. IMO
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

n2dabluebbq-

Thanks, that recipe looks great!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

The thing I have found about brisket is how much folks vary on whether it is done right or not. For my personal consumption I expect brisket to have some chew and a little dryer texture in the flat. Just the way it is supposed to be. But, for a competition, where you are cooking blind and with no ability yo explain your work, you cannot assume that the judges are looking for that chew. In which case, you are better off erring on the side of juicy and salty as that is a flavor that most people enjoy.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
daveinwestmont
On the road to being a farker

What is the standard receipe for brisket. I've tried a few different variations but for a 5 lb flat I usually smoke it for 4 hours and foil it until it hits the 190's, then let it rest for an hour, usually tender and juicy. Usually a 7-9 hour process at around 225. I would like to try a full packer but need some guidence before I try it. (would hate to ruin it).

Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwestmont View Post
What is the standard receipe for brisket. I've tried a few different variations but for a 5 lb flat I usually smoke it for 4 hours and foil it until it hits the 190's, then let it rest for an hour, usually tender and juicy. Usually a 7-9 hour process at around 225. I would like to try a full packer but need some guidence before I try it. (would hate to ruin it).

I'd suggest reading some of the links in the first post as a good start.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
It's a bit salty to me and it also adds some "enhanced flavor".... Umami? and there is a condensed beef flavor to it as well. As cooks are starting to cook hotter they are needing to use the Phosphates in the injections to gain the edge in moisture retention. It also reduces the margin of error for all. So as the number of cooks in each competition that use moisture/flavor enhancers increases so does the need for you to use them too. The playing field needs to be level to have an opportunity to win. I don't want to throw away my money so I am forced to use them too. IMO
WOW!! Thanks Zilla. It makes a TON of sense now. Great info. Hopefully, some more of the Comp Cookers will chime in as well. Never even thought that cooking at hotter temps was a factor in the equation.

THANKS!

Bob

Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

A-1 steak sauce on brisket is awesome
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

dinner some time back.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:

Last edited by boogiesnap; 11-21-2011 at 08:03 AM..
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
dinner some time back.
just a crazy thought with regard to this picture and your other thread about your comp boxes. This brisket looks waaaaaaaaay better than the one in the box.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote