Smoked tri-tip

S

Smokinrubcom

Here’s a CAB Tri-tip that I smoked for dinner tonight. It was rubbed down with my Brisket rub. Came out very tender and juicy. If you have not tried a tri-tip on the smoker it is a must!!!! Well here’s the pics:

Look at the marbling on this bad boy!
tritip.jpg

Here’s what she looks like after sittin in the fridge rubbed down overnight
tritip1.jpg

Sliced and ready to be chowed down!!!
tritip3.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Mike Whisante

Lookin Good! I fall into the catagory of those who have not tried a tri-tip roast on the smoker. Darn things can't be found around here for less thaqn abot 4-5 bucks a pound. Tell me, is it necessary to cook them that done? I usually prefer my beef on the Med-Rare side, but then I love a well cooked brisket also.

BTW, I use your rub sometimes, and find it very good! Thx!

I like it medium well (a lil pink) but my wife does not want to see any blood . . . . so . . . . . got to keep the wife happy :p

Mike
PS. Thanks for the comment bout my product(s)

That's a really nice looking piece of meat there!:cool:

Tri-tip has to be one of THE best cuts of beef to put on a grill. Nice looking piece of meat there...

I have a hard time finding a Tri Tip, But that looks great!

Had one last night and have a hankerin' for another- Love that Tri-Tip!

Dude! Dat looks nice! I been cookin em on a Smokey Joe lately. They turn out freakin awsome!
All me briskets have sucked lately. Tri's are my new best friends these days.

I have not yet smoked one, just on the grill pre-cut as steaks. The tri's have a great beef flavor imho. Good lookin' grub! John

Nice lookin grub!

Tri Tip is almost nonexistant around here:mad:

I found a small one about 2 months ago.

I now understand what all the hype is about...........what a great beefy flavor!!

Darn things can't be found around here for less thaqn abot 4-5 bucks a pound.

Same here. I never heard of it until I joined this forum. I understand that it used to be considered cheap leftovers from trimming other cuts, but now it's popularity seems to have driven the price up.

Lookin Good! I fall into the catagory of those who have not tried a tri-tip roast on the smoker. Darn things can't be found around here for less thaqn abot 4-5 bucks a pound. Tell me, is it necessary to cook them that done? I usually prefer my beef on the Med-Rare side, but then I love a well cooked brisket also.

BTW, I use your rub sometimes, and find it very good! Thx!

While that is high compared to a few years ago, 4-5/lb is a good value when compared to other cuts of similar quality...

I cook these a lot, they come out great when 125 or so internal. I let the roast rest about 10 minutes, perfect medium rare. This is a somewhat irregular cut, so there are always some thinner tail sections that turn out more done...

It's steak not brisket, cook like you would any other steak be it well done or rare...

Same here. I never heard of it until I joined this forum. I understand that it used to be considered cheap leftovers from trimming other cuts, but now it's popularity seems to have driven the price up.

Actually what a tri-tip is - its the cap off of a top sirloin. Most places when cutting top sirloins they just leave the cap on. When you are at the grocery store next time, ask the meat cutter if you could have the cap off of a top sirloin :wink:

Mike

Mike, that tri tip looks excellent!! :cool:

That is nice looking hunk of beef. I need to find me some tri tip. hmmm....

that looks great! I love tri-tips, I like to buy them at costco precut as steaks, going to try a whole roast next!

how long is a cook for a roast like that? I assume really darn close to brisket, how high did you take the temps??

Thanks

Back