Smoked Tri-Tip

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Tri-Tip is one of my favorite cut of meat. Cooked some up for the family and then wrote an article on the blog about it. Used a combo of Durkee's Steak Dust and The Slabs Beef Rub (50/50 Mix) Cooked to Medium for the kids and wife, Mine was medium rare.Thought I woud share some pron with you all . Enjoy :cool:

Attachments

• DSC_0674 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0674 (Small).JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC_0678 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0678 (Small).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0682 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0682 (Small).JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_0681 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0681 (Small).JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0685 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0685 (Small).JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0686 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0686 (Small).JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 255
I always liked Steak Dust, my wife hates it. I never really could put my finger on what she didnt like about it. Her smeller works about 5 times better than mine, and she tastes and smells things differently than me.

Great looking tri-tip. One day I am going have to smoke one of those farkers :-D

Mike Whisante

Boss Man,
They look good, but did you grill them or smoke them like the post states?
A friend wants me to smoke some for him. I don't know how they'll turn out smoked.
Your thoughts, please.

Add my opinion. I put whole tri-tip on a UDS or indirect on egg at 220-250. I add hickory and cherry. I pull at 140 ish because people I serve are shy of meat juices that are red. Overall the color doesn't get dark sear but cherry helps add color. Smoke taste is mor intense than when just grilled. Either way it is great. Doesn't take long to get to 140.
IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

Boss Man,
They look good, but did you grill them or smoke them like the post states?
A friend wants me to smoke some for him. I don't know how they'll turn out smoked.
Your thoughts, please.

I actually smoked them on the Traeger at 250-275 thats why there are no grill marks on the steaks. I actually prefer them smoked to get that smoke flavor and smell in the steaks, the family loves it this way as well . Used Oak and Mesq for wood. Like stated above, it doesnt take long to grill or smoke these when cut into steaks, I did like 10 minutes per side and they turned out great, little bit of a smoke ring but not much.

Start simple, season with something like montreal steak seasoning and cook how you want to 130-135 fore rare or 140-150 to get like in the pics I posted. Let rest. Big Brother Smoke does a lot of this in his catering gigs. He uses a traditional Santa Maria type grill. Might PM him for more direct grilling questions.

DSC01100.jpg

http://www.simplymarvelousbbq.com/index.php?pg=galleryxx1#na

index.php

Last edited:
Back