MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Your going to need some big arse wrenches to get those off that disk.
Ive changed a few out in my younger years.

We have 2 farm supply stores with in 10 miles of where I live, but you can order them online from Tractor Supply co. or some other farm supply store.

Around here used or damaged ones are very hard to come by as there used for dock support leg bases.
I built dock supports some years ago, got damaged discs from my now deceased FIL.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]

Last edited by bbqbull; 03-07-2010 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: edit
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Oh boy...............Now Dat's something new.....Mmmmmmmmmm
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #18
texman02
Full Fledged Farker

That is an outstanding post ....the grub looks awesome too!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #19
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwacker View Post
Dang,, First That food looked great Bob,, I wouldn't mind haveing a couple of them with a Beer.. second,, Wish I was still working,, I used to deliver Heavy Rental equipment to a lot of farms here in SW Florida, I can't count how many of those Disc's I've seen in the Scrap Bins at the Farms when they change them out.. What a shame....
What a shame indeed. A decent disc here with the handles on it sells for no less than 40 bucks and that's for small disc. Cool thing is you can make a lid with another disc. The lids are great for frying and steaming. My BIL has a lid for his. Great for when he makes whole fried black bass or tilapia. Prevents lots of splattering.

Bull......Please explain how they are used as dock supports. Something totally new to me.

Thanks everyone!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Bob, my grandparents had a little cottage on a lake.
The dock rested on concrete blocks that you had to put in every spring every fall.
The beams of the dock rested on the stacked blocks.
Then somebody mfg aluminum pipes with a cross bar that took the place of the concrete blocks.
They were over a hundred bucks apiece.
I took some discs, inverted them and welded them to some pipe that fit inside the disk hole in the center. I welded the cross a bar to the 2 upright pieces of pipe and that held the dock.
Much easier to carry an H shaped piece of steel out in the water than say 10 concrete blocks for a section of dock.
I took care full measurements before I did all the cutting and welding and they turned out great, price probably ten dollars a piece for materials and welding rod.
The disks were inverted, that kept them from sinking down into the sand at the lake.
The dock was more stable on the home made supports than on the cement blocks.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #21
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Man Bob, tradition and family history means a lot to me, but, that disc is a real treasue, and you appear to be able to cook pretty good on it too. When I first read the thread, somewhat carlessly, I thought you wrote that it 'is your dad's, but he is old and it will be yours soon'. Don't know how that popped into my head.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #22
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Bob, my grandparents had a little cottage on a lake.
The dock rested on concrete blocks that you had to put in every spring every fall.
The beams of the dock rested on the stacked blocks.
Then somebody mfg aluminum pipes with a cross bar that took the place of the concrete blocks.
They were over a hundred bucks apiece.
I took some discs, inverted them and welded them to some pipe that fit inside the disk hole in the center. I welded the cross a bar to the 2 upright pieces of pipe and that held the dock.
Much easier to carry an H shaped piece of steel out in the water than say 10 concrete blocks for a section of dock.
I took care full measurements before I did all the cutting and welding and they turned out great, price probably ten dollars a piece for materials and welding rod.
The disks were inverted, that kept them from sinking down into the sand at the lake.
The dock was more stable on the home made supports than on the cement blocks.
Makes perfect sense now. Amazing the different uses for these old discs. Too cool!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Man Bob, tradition and family history means a lot to me, but, that disc is a real treasue, and you appear to be able to cook pretty good on it too. When I first read the thread, somewhat carlessly, I thought you wrote that it 'is your dad's, but he is old and it will be yours soon'. Don't know how that popped into my head.
I edited the thread early on. What I was wanting to say was that is has been handed down over the generations and my dad says he's gonna hand it down to me one day too. Then hopefully I can hand it down to my son one day also.
Kinda feels like my Grandad is there, looking over our shoulder, when either me or my dad use it.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #24
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Just saw this and I really have to say that I've seen lots of disco cooking since I was a kid but DAYUM that looks farking awesome! I really need to fire up mine and get cooking. Now that warm weather is in the near future I've got the craving for some tacos. Good job Bob the seasoning on that thing is awesome!

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #25
deguerre

Beautiful Bob. Four generations...great!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #26
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Outstanding Bob! Quick question, do you apply shortening on it to keep the rust off after each cook, like cast iron skillets?

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #27
Phubar

Pharking Phantastic Pron Bobby B.!
Let me know when Masterclass is in session!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #28
BobBrisket

Thanks everyone. Gary, my dad keeps it wrapped up in a cloth sack and a few plastic bags and tucked away where the water and moisture can't get to it, but yes, we do give it a thin coat of cooking oil once it has been cleaned and ready for storage.
A recommended method for cleaning if it has lots of burned or stuck on food is to fill it up with water and bring it to a boil. Ther hot water will loosen any particles at that time and a quick once over with a sponge or towel will clean it right off.
Al--I had to take advantage of the weather. We had highs in the mid 70's, no wind, gorgeous. Perfect day for discada.

Thanks again.

Bob

Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #29
paperboy98
On the road to being a farker

Default link to discada store

Here's a link to a place that sells them and supplies:
http://shop.southwestdisk.com/main.s...0.qscstrfrnt04

paperboy98
paperboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #30
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

The age and history of the disc... truly, the most genuine and touching story I have ever seen posted on here by anyone.

I KNOW that disc cooks better than modern ones.... the old ones carry heat so much better.

I love seeing the process too.

Thanks from:--->