My first cook on my Lang84D

JT's Smokehouse

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok so Ive been busy since this weekend's cook and I apologize for not posting this sooner! I did three butts all rubbed down with the same simple blend, a whole chicken and a chuck roast. I also did some bacon and some bacon wrapped scallops that were awesome! I didn't get any pics of the bacon or scallops since my guests arrived and I just forgot to take pics. Anyways here's some pics to feast your eyes on......

DSCN0234_zps61b115d1.jpg

Meat in the cooker

DSCN0235_zpsf489d158.jpg

DSCN0236_zpse3b50770.jpg

IMG_0963_zps38f0c5ea.jpg

The chuck roast

IMG_0962_zps3a31b8a3.jpg

a>

The butts are pretty much done here.....

I pulled the one on the far left first with a IT of 190 degrees and looking soooo good! My first time ever getting such nice looking bark! I was psyched!

IMG_0964_zps3b0c22ec.jpg

Rode 250 the whole cook.........

IMG_0960_zps11a0604c.jpg

Friends were just relaxing and waiting for the foiled meat to be served up! It was a bit chilly but hey they wanted to try my first cook, (no pressure) lol

DSCN0239_zps1ef9302b.jpg

And now for the final two shots.....

The first is a close up of the butt and Im very pleased at the results too!

IMG_0965_zps9a6175f3.jpg

and the chuck roast..... this didnt come out as good as I hoped for. The meat was very dry even after a two hour rest in foil and cooler.

IMG_0966_zpscec2ee3c.jpg

As I mentioned earlier I got distracted by my company and forgot to take pics of the pulled pork, but trust me...... it was incredibly delicious! I gave out a bunch of freebies for favors, ( like the welding ) ;) and everyone who ate it couldnt get enough!

So needless to say all my searching for months and restoration effort on this baby sure has been worth it! I love my Lang!

That food looks great. The color looks fantastic and looks juicy. There'll be many more on that cooker.

How many splits did you use?

That food looks great. The color looks fantastic and looks juicy. There'll be many more on that cooker.

How many splits did you use?

Man I got up at 4am for this not knowing what to expect so I forgot to count the amount of wood used... it wasn't terrible tho and I had some left over so I would say in the ball park of 20-25 splits. That includes getting her hot too....

I love posts with lots-o-pics! Nice cook for the first time. I'm sure many more are coming soon!

Complimenti! Your butts, all of them, look great and delicious. What about moistness ? They were ok but the chuck roast was dry out in the same cooking time. Could it depend on where the chuck roast was inside your Lang, near fire box?

Food looks great, cooker looks amazing. I'm wondering why it took so long to cook a chicken. Anything past 2 hours and I'm wondering that though.

Back