Apple and Bleu Cheese Stuffed Pork Loin w/Oktoberfest Potatoes Au Gratin

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Today I decided to try something new. I haven't ever cooked a pork loin and I found a 4.6lb loin on sale at the grocery store earlier this week...

20111015_StuffedPork_187.JPG

I got some good advice from Sandiegobbq on how to cook one of these so I decided to take it and see what happened...

20111015_StuffedPork_188.JPG

I trimmed all the fat and silver skin from the loin...

20111015_StuffedPork_189.JPG

Then I roll cut it to open it up. This cut doesn't looks so great... it's the first time I have attempted it...

20111015_StuffedPork_190.JPG

I sauteed some apples and onions in a little EVOO with some salt and pepper until the onions were translucent...

20111015_StuffedPork_191.JPG

I added a little minced garlic and sauteed for another minute or two and then tossed in a healthy splash of whiskey...

20111015_StuffedPork_192.JPG

Next I tossed in some fresh rosemary and crumbled bleu cheese, stirred it up and then removed the pan from the heat to let this stuffing cool a little...

20111015_StuffedPork_193.JPG

I spread it all out on the pork loin...

20111015_StuffedPork_194.JPG

Then rolled it up and tied it with some cooking twine... I shook a little salt and black pepper on the outside also...

20111015_StuffedPork_195.JPG

And for fun and aroma I put some more fresh rosemary on top...

20111015_StuffedPork_196.JPG

Tossed it on the drum smoker at about 325 degrees and put the temperature probe inside... target temp was 130-135°.

20111015_StuffedPork_197.JPG

While the pork loin was cooking I whipped up some Oktoberfest potatoes au gratin... I sliced up 3 baking potatoes and layered them in the dish. I used 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon of flour, 1 teaspoon of paprika, salt and pepper to taste, 1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese and a bottle of Oktoberfest beer...

20111015_StuffedPork_198.JPG

I pulled the pork loin at 135°, foiled it and let it rest in the oven for 15-20 minutes (oven at 150°)...

20111015_StuffedPork_199.JPG

When the potatoes were tender, I foiled them and let them sit for 15 minutes before serving...

20111015_StuffedPork_200.JPG

Smellin' good so far!

20111015_StuffedPork_201.JPG

Plated it and dug in!

This pork was fork tender. It tasted awesome and so did the potatoes. The stuffing was awesome but I might add some more apples or even use apple sauce next time around.

Thanks for looking!

Looks delish!

Next time take a meat hammer and pound out the loin just a little bit. It will tenderize it some. Add some chopped dried apricots to your stuffing instead of more apples. I think you'll love that.

Looks delish!

Next time take a meat hammer and pound out the loin just a little bit. It will tenderize it some. Add some chopped dried apricots to your stuffing instead of more apples. I think you'll love that.

This pork was fork tender without pounding it out. I didn't have to use a knife on it to cut it.

My original plan for stuffing was a bit simpler than what I actually did. I was going to spread cream cheese on it and then a layer of Smuckers Peach-Mango preserves... I may go back and do that next time...

Wow!!! Awesome, I am going to have to be a Copy-Cat on that in the near future. Great work, I wish I was cooking that tonight.

My original plan for stuffing was a bit simpler than what I actually did. I was going to spread cream cheese on it and then a layer of Smuckers Peach-Mango preserves... I may go back and do that next time...
Dang JM, the one you cooked looks stellar, and the next time sounds killer fine too! Starvin' over here Mon!!

Looks great JM!! Have a loin in the fridge to cook tomorrow. Wife won't let me smoke this one though. In the slow cooker with basalmic and molasses! Real good and easy but I like mine over FIRE!!!

Looks great JM!! Have a loin in the fridge to cook tomorrow. Wife won't let me smoke this one though. In the slow cooker with basalmic and molasses! Real good and easy but I like mine over FIRE!!!

Slow cook it in the smoker in a pan with balsamic and molasses :) Compromise is good :)

She tells me 3-4 nights a week of smoke is plenty! She tells me to remember the stroke thread from a while back! I just laugh! Oh and the basalmic and molasses is great with chuckies too!!!

looks wicked man!!!!!!! think i will try something along the same line you just did :wink:

looks wicked man!!!!!!! think i will try something along the same line you just did :wink:

I hope you like it as much as I did... After having 24 hours to think about this a little, I think I would recommend rubbing the outside with EVOO before adding the salt and pepper.

I like rolling out like you did, or even just butterflying, then stuffing with a mixture of honey, apple slices, cinnamon and some black pepper, smoke, glaze with a mixture of melted apple jelly and cinnamon.

Back