My first brisket on the UDS

Louisiana Smoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Last week I completed my UDS and attempted to smoke some beef ribs. They came out a tad crunchy. Some might even call them crispy. I could not get the temp down below 300 and after the drum cooled off I found the air leak(s) and I am ready to tackle it again.
Questions
1. I made a paste and a rub. Figured 4 hours will be long enough to work it in or should it go longer?
2. Smoke it in a pan or on the grill? Thinking that the pan will hold the juices and do a little self basting
3. Cooking it in a pan should it be fat up or fat down?
4. Optimal cooking temp should 250ish?

Thanks in advance

I've never cooke a brisket in a pan, but I've also only done them off-set, not drum style.

If it were me, I would put the brisket on the grill, with the pan below that, fat side down at 250ish until it hit about 190-195 IT, and had the "magic feel"

Thanks, I went ahead and cooked it in the pan. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Put it on at 4 and 3 1/2 hours later its at 139.
Do I need to apply a mop? I am afraid of the temperatures spiking if the lid is raised. Anyone have advice?

My first and only brisket I've done in my uds was the first tiny step. It was a 6.5# flat, choice from costco. Very basic cook. Rubbed with ground pepper, fat side down, no turnie over.. no foil..., no lift lid. It had a great smoke ring, great bark and the flavor was out standing.......but it was a little dry. Next time?:confused: This is what makes it fun!:becky:

Back