Need some help with my first box

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Today was a great day weather wise, and I had taken the day off, so I decided to do a rib practice, now that I seem to have my process down. The one thing I thing I need some guidance on, is what I could have done better with the box. My first thought, was that I should have just put the ribs together, instead of having some space between them. What do you all think? Feel free to rate it too if you like...

Also, the two on the right kinda fell together as I was taking the picture.

my-first-box.JPG

The way it is presented now, probably a 6. Tighten that parsley up, and get the ribs tight together. The rib cuts look pretty clean, and it looks like you've got the bones all going the same direction.

The way it is presented now, probably a 6. Tighten that parsley up, and get the ribs tight together. The rib cuts look pretty clean, and it looks like you've got the bones all going the same direction.

Do you mean use more parsley, or were you referring to something else when you say "Tighten that parsley up" Thanks for taking the time to give some words of wisdom here. I definitely appreciate it

Use more parsley. fill the box so that the parsley is even with the edge of the box. Bring your ribs together so there is no space between them. If you have enough good ribs to do it, add two more to the box.

Do you mean use more parsley, or were you referring to something else when you say "Tighten that parsley up" Thanks for taking the time to give some words of wisdom here. I definitely appreciate it

Sorry for my lack of precision...Like Big Mike says, use more. It should be dense and tightly packed in there, the edges should be relatively even. "Tighten up" like in military terms. Tighten up that uniform, tighten up that haircut, etc...Make it neater, make it tighter, make it more dense. That parsley is framing what you took hours and hours to prepare, make that picture frame look nice.

I think we've got the garnish covered :)

For the ribs, I would keep them together, and try to have at least the 4 ribs on top come from the same rack and be in the same order as they were in the rack. This isn't mandatory, but it looks better, and since the cuts are the same on each adjoining rib if your cuts are a little crooked it doesn't really show up until they take their ribs out of the box, and the appearance judging is done by then.

The ribs themselves look good.

As entered, I would give this a seven.

As stated above, work on garnish and move the ribs together.

Sauce also looks a little uneven.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind sampling those guys.

Thanks TD. I think the lighting in my kitchen made it look a little uneven. It looked much better in person. I was told by my friend who was there to partake, that this was my best batch of the summer.

Well, that being said, thanks for the input!

I think the ribs themselves look good. As stated move them together. Good first box and good that you are practicing before the comp. keith

Back