Help Me Build an Old School BBQ Pit!

Kreuz's uses high tech fans in their pits nowadays that helps even out the heat. I won't have that luxury in my backyard pit.

DId not know that.. did you see it or they told you ?

Unrelated, I was surprised to real that City Market in Luling, who used brick pits, also has a Southern Pride in the back that they have when things get real busy...

Unrelated, I was surprised to real that City Market in Luling, who used brick pits, also has a Southern Pride in the back that they have when things get real busy...

The owner mentioned the fans in a TV show. I think it was in a TV show named BBQ Paradise. They have fans that spread the heat unlike what they left behind at Smitty's.

Pitmaster T can offer some insight, if He feels funky enough to add to the conversation.

A Southern Pride would indicate a great surrender, IMO. SP cookers may be great cookers but they pale in comparison to true wood smoked BBQ.

I too have thought this idea over and my thoughts were to build the structure from congrete block then line with fire brick. Leaving a hole in the front big enough to shovel coals into it and using corrugated metal sheets to cover the top and the opening in the side. And have a grate made or make a grate for it.

CUT/CHOP/COOK on Vimeo

This is a real good watch if you havent seen it.

Scott's is about 30 mins from my house!
David

A Southern Pride would indicate a great surrender, IMO. SP cookers may be great cookers but they pale in comparison to true wood smoked BBQ.

I read it here

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/search?...-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&max-results=50

After that meal I strolled back to the alley behind the building and walked to the open door of the pit room. Pitmaster Joe Capello was there and greeted us warmly. He showed us the smallish steel pit and the wood pile that was just disorderly enough to know that somebody was actually using it. Joe didn't explain much about their smoking process, but did fill us in on some history of the Bar-E Ranch that was owned by the family that started City Market (the sign above City Market reads "Bar-E Barbeque & Sausage"). The ranch still exists north of town, but the briskets aren't from the cattle at the ranch any longer. As I turned to leave I noticed a stainless steel Southern Pride rotisserie smoker in the corner. I tried to hide my disdain when asking Joe why it was there hoping that it was just a joke, but Joe said they had to crank it up during busy weekends to keep up with demand. The smoker felt cold and hadn't been fired up recently enough to cook the meat I ate on this day, but the fact that a recognized pillar of Texas barbecue tradition uses it at all is alarming.

I too have thought this idea over and my thoughts were to build the structure from congrete block then line with fire brick. Leaving a hole in the front big enough to shovel coals into it and using corrugated metal sheets to cover the top and the opening in the side. And have a grate made or make a grate for it.

CUT/CHOP/COOK on Vimeo

This is a real good watch if you havent seen it.

OMG OMG OMG... i have been LOOOOKING for this video for the last year. thank you thank you thank you for posting it.

Do these old pits have smoke stacks that I can't see? I have plans for an old school style pit without a stack.

To me, Scott's in SC and Smitty's in TX have nailed the old school pits. That doesn't mean that Lexington, NC hasn't, because there are some great pits there too. ... Also, does the NC/SC style pits have the chimney at the end or just in the lid?

Seems like Lexington style joints are the only ones with a dedicated chimney system. If you look at the stacks for places like Stamey's, each stack is dedicated to one cooker.

Open pit Whole hog joints like Scott's don't really have chimneys.

The purpose of the chimney is different for Texas BBQ vs Carolina BBQ. For us the chimney is more as a pathway to release pork grease which would otherwise drip down on to the hog causing that nasty "zebra" effect.

In Texas, that chimney has a real use in that it's drawing the heat from one end of the cooker to the other. Since the heat source is directly below, there's real no issue for Carolina styles in getting the heat to the meat. In fact most "lids" these open pits are simply cardboard.

Thanks, brethren. I want to build a dual purpose pit. One with sliding doors on the sides and vents on top so that I can cook old school directly over coals and also with a firebox end and a chimney that I can close off when cooking direct but open when cooking TX style.

I believe a baffle system at the firebox end is essential. The sliding doors, and vents should be pretty easy. After some suggestions from the brethren, I'm still thinking through the firebox entrance into the smoker and the height of the chimney exit in relation to the grates.

The old school pits that cook meat directly over the coals should be pretty easy.

nueyawk, that is one of the simpler and more accurate descriptions of the difference that I have seen. I have dreams of building an oak pit similar to the ones that were prevalent in California in the 1950's and 1960's which all seemed to be owned by Oklahoma folks. These use a bottom fire box, and really were just a large chimney, with racks build like shelves inside the flue. There was a big opening that allowed the cook to move meat up and down, from shelf to shelf, for cooking or holding.

Carolina style pits are normally shovel fed the ones in CenTex are more like an off set design it is pretty easy think of a Fireplace and chimney laying on the ground instead of brick/block on the upper face of the chimney it is a Metal cap.

These two videos will give you some Ideas

Hot to Build a Pit BBQ for $250 - YouTube

Kentucky Open Pit Barbecue: Tim Russell Style - YouTube

These were the two examples that popped into my mind when I read ythis. May do something like the first sometime if the wife don't bark too much.

ok boshizzle. here is one i drew up for you in google sketch up. i also have some dimensions for you. 32 inches all the way around and 48 high. its a total of 37-40 bricks which is 80$ and then the expanded metal for the grate. each brick is 8x8x16. the cooking surface will be 16x16

it has a wood lid and a exhaust port. it is made of cinder blocks. So ignor the texture that looks like regular brick. haha. thats all sketchup had.

anyway, i drew it up for you and the rest of the brethren. enjoy

Attachments

• cinder block smoker plans.jpg
    cinder block smoker plans.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 439
Back